Have You Ever Been To A Gay Bar?

Discussion in 'Night Chat' started by artyarson, Jul 8, 2016.

1. artyarson

artyarson Member

I've figured out that so-called "gay bars" aren't just for people from the LGBT community. There's also some fair number of straight people who hang out at gay-friendly places.

So, I'm wondering. Have you ever visited such places out of curiosity? If so, what was the environment like? Any crazy stories maybe?

PS: I'm so sorry about what happened in Orlando. However, that's a separate topic to talk about. Let this one be purely peaceful and fun.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Since I'm not gay I haven't visited a gay bar but good question, I'm interested about this as well. What's the atmosphere there? Also, I'm glad most of the people here are pro-LGBT, there's too much negativity over this subject.

3. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have never been to one but I know lots of people who are straight who go to to the local gay bar. They say there is less drama and the people are more fun to hang out with. Maybe someday I will go.

4. justintheruffian

I'm not gay, but I wouldn't be opposed to going to a gay bar with a friend. My problem is that I'm from a small town where gay bars are nonexistent, so I've never been given the opportunity. I HAVE heard there's less drama, but unfortunately I can't confirm. I'm not dying to go to one, but I wouldn't say no given the opportunity.

5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I have been to plenty of gay bars and find myself feeling more comfortable. The gay bar scene isn't very different from a regular bar, but I never really have to worry about a drunken man coming up to me, bothering me throughout the night. As someone above said, there is definitely less drama.

Gay bars usually have really fun themes. They are more likely to have events going on and it's always a fun time. I really enjoy gay bars. :)

6. kgord

kgord Active Member

I haven't gone to a gay bar. Of course, there are none in this area. I guess straight people go to gay bars, but I don't know enough about them to understand the whole scene. However, since there are no bars of that type here, it isn't something to think about at the moment

7. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

I am not gay so I have never considered going to a gay bar. I don't believe that I would want to anyway, therefore, I say let that be for the gay people I have no problem with any being around, even though I don't know any but am for to each his own.

8. Norm A

Norm A Member

I have. It's great. It's a whole different scene than the straight bars. I think gay people just naturally have more fun. I don't know why, but it's true. If I had a choice, I would rather hang out at the gay club than a straight one.

Sue likes this.
  9. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

I used to bartend at a gay bar in Indiana. I have tons of gay friends and have been to gay bars all over the United States. The LGBT community is all about having fun. They are accepting and carefree and they are also fabulous tippers when I was working!

Sue likes this.
  10. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have never been to one but I have a lot of friends who are gay and they are so much fun to hang out with. We always have a blast when we hang out together and there seems to be a lot less drama.

11. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

No, I can't say that I have. Or if I did, I didn't notice. Not knocking them, but as a straight married guy, there wasn't much reason to go to such an establishment.

In the past, one of my female colleagues' husband worked as a bartender at a gay bar. He was, obviously, straight, but was, I'm told, a damn fine tender and he did well financially there.

Sue likes this.
  12. TayH

TayH New Member

I have been to a fair few gay bars, I'm straight but have many gay friends. I have always found the atmosphere to be not what they put on comedy movies and such. It's not like their are sparkly men dancing in cages... Well not usually But seriously I've never had a bad night at a gay bar maybe I have to,d a few friends that who they plan on hooking up with looked OK only to get a call the next day asking me who I was looking at. Those places are dark and there are so many distractions, chances are I couldn't see quite straight either lol

13. larryl332

larryl332 New Member

Oh yes, and it was an interesting experience(s). I used to live near Minneapolis and they have a very large gay scene up there, and some of the better nights I have had were around there. For all the doubts out there, too, there a lot of ladies that go to these places so it is not really what you think a lot of the time. Give it a try if you haven't...why not. Thanks for sharing.

14. TakKovacs

TakKovacs New Member

Gay bars are the best for karaoke. They have way more fun with it than boring old straight people. I've had so much fun being the straight guy at gay bars, and I guess I'm not bad looking so I tend to get alot of free drinks in their vague attempts to "sway" me, which is always a running joke and never anything remotely serious. So much fun. I miss going to the gay bars with my lesbian friends in Cincinnati. hahah

15. artyarson

artyarson Member

Yeah, gay people are usually pretty much open-minded and do not care about looking silly, especially those who already came out.

16. larryl332

larryl332 New Member

I would say that the location has a lot to do with it, and bigger cities like that you are bound to have some good places. I live in a much smaller town, so it is really not the case here, but take a little trip north to the bigger city and things are much much different. And yes, like you said, much more fun.

17. Terry

Terry Member

Gаy bаrs vаry just аs аny оthеr bаr dоеs. Sоmе аrе vеry саmpy аnd sеrvе lоts оf сосktаils аnd plаy pоunding соmmеrсiаl hоusе musiс, оthеrs аrе сhеаp divе bаrs thаt sеll сhеаp bееr аnd lоts оf it.
    оnе thing mоst gаy bаrs аrеn't is hypеrsеxuаl plасеs: rеmеmbеr thе rесurring sсеnеs in thе Pоliсе асаdеmy mоviеs whеrе thеy еnd up in 'Thе Bluе оystеr', whеrе оffiсеrs аrе sеnt аs а prаnk оnly tо find lоts оf bеаrdy mеn in lеаthеr whо thеy аrе thеn fоrсеd tо dаnсе with. Yеаh, thеy'rе nоt likе thаt. оr rаthеr, mоst gаy bаrs аrеn't hypеrsеxuаl

18. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

Yes I have been to a Gay Bar before, my friend wanted me to go one night, so I thought why not. I really enjoyed myself, the music was great, everyone in the club was friendly, and there was no trouble. We danced the night away and had a great time.:)

19. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Yes I have, and it was honestly one of the more fun places that I have been to. I am not really sure why, but for some reason everyone was in a better mood and you could tell.

AngelaMc likes this.
  20. Stephens

Stephens Member

Mоstly gаy bаrs аrе just bаrs with gаy pеоplе in thеm. Yоu саn hаvе а drink. Sоmеtimеs thеy sеrvе fооd. Whаt gоеs оn in thеm? Wеll, thеrе аrе pеоplе drinking, dаnсing аnd hаving а gооd timе. Sоmеtimеs thеrе's еntеrtаinmеnt: drаg quееns оr livе соmеdy оr quiz nights оr bingо. Usuаlly thеrе's just pеоplе drinking аnd сhаtting.