Election

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kgord, Aug 2, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Active Member

Does the current US election make you want to A. Tear your hair out B. Have a Drink,,,C. Both A and B.

I would pick C. I realize many of you are not from the US but even so, you may have some feelings about our current election which never seems to end. I don't know how we got here in terms of our candidates, but I hate the constant headline grabbing, and the offensiveness of one of the candidates.

2. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I'm no spring chicken, so this isn't the first election I've seen by a long shot. It is, however, easily the most bizarre in my lifetime. So, yes, a drink or three does help ease the tension.

P.S. I too have got to imagine our friends overseas think we're pretty loco this election cycle. They wouldn't be too far off the mark. ;)

3. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I am from Serbia so I couldn't care less for this but in general I like the idea to have a drink. I like my hair so I will skip than one. Seriously now, elections in the U.S. are important for everybody, the world and I am not sure I know where is the campaign right now but I believe you when you allude it is becoming a boring circus.

kgord likes this.
  4. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

It is indeed a circus. The characters both parties have fielded this time have more baggage than Samsonite. Oh well, it will be over by early November. Until then, I do believe we shall drink up. Cheers, pals.

kgord likes this.
  5. Sue

Sue Active Member

I am not from the US but I will choose C. I have been following the election and I have to say I have no idea how you will make a decision. I am glad it is not me. A circus indeed. Cheers my friend..just keep on drinking since things aren't going to get any better I am afraid..

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I'm not familiar with how much power the President has in US but here in Romania he's the one that approves stuff and rarely gets involved. I would much rather be interested in choosing the right people for The Senate.

7. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

The president hold significant power in the US. It is the highest office in the land. He/she is also the Command in Chief of the entire Armed Forces. And that includes the authority to launch a nuclear strike. So, it is indeed pretty serious business.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Oh, guess I was wrong. So how much power does The Government have? Or they pretty much have to listen to the president for every decision?

9. kgord

kgord Active Member

The President is the Commander in Chief in this country, so it is a pretty big deal. People get very riled up about politics in this country and it really makes you just want to escape with a drink. Who we select affects not only this country, but the rest of the world.

10. Norm A

Norm A Member

We just happen to be having our own elections here in South Africa. I know how you feel. We have a few of our own issues here, they just aren't as publicized thoughout the world. I can't wait for it to be over.

11. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

No, the president isn't an Emperor and our system of government has a series of checks and balances to make sure one branch does not wield too much power. Still, the president is the Chief Executive and the office has considerable power, influence, and prestige. It is a pretty darn important office.