Social Media

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FuZyOn, Jul 6, 2016.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Am I the only one that doesn't spend that much time on social media? I usually just check Facebook for 5-10 minutes to see some updates then a couple of tweets and I'm done for the day. It's not addicting for me, but it's probably because I'm disciplined and I don't like wasting time. :p

2. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I don't spend to much time in front of facebook. I pretty much do the same as you do maybe a little bit more time, I would say about half an our and I'm done.
    I never log on from my smartphone so just there alone I save a lot of time.

3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I wish that I could say that I don't spend a lot of time on social media, but I do. I spend a lot of time on instagram when I'm bored. I also send out a ton of snap chats to my friends and family. Facebook has become somewhat of an email account for me, allowing me to stay in contact with relatives that do not live in the area.

I wish I could only be on social media for 5-10 minutes a day. Honestly, my life would probably be a lot better if I wasn't addicted to constantly checking my phone. I commend you!

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Deleting those apps from my phone definitely helped my cause, because you usually have your phone on you when you go to the bathroom or when you're bored and it's easy to just waste time on social media.

SirJoe likes this.
  5. artyarson

artyarson Member

Back in the day, I was browsing the Internet from my desktop and constantly updating my FB page. I mean checking for updates.

Today it seems like everyone has smartphones, so we don't have to waste our time on the whole FB mess while staying at home. I go online every hour but I don't stay there for longer than 2-3 minutes.

I use WhatsApp to chat with my friends when they're not around.

lexinonomous likes this.
  6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

WhatsApp is definitely an app that I use more than I'd like to admit, haha, but I don't think that's the worst. At least I'm interacting with people and it's not considered an addiction (or is it?) :D.

7. artyarson

artyarson Member

Unless you prefer chatting with your friends that way over meeting them in real life when you really have the opportunity.

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That's why I decided never to log into Facebook with my phone. It's just too easy to be tempted to go and take a look. If you do it once you will do it again. I prefer sitting in front of my computer for that.

9. artyarson

artyarson Member

Are you just looking for updates or expecting something exciting just about to happen?

10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

After reading your post, it made me realize that my visits to facebook are not nearly as frequent as I thought. I check my phone once an hour or so and find myself browsing for only 2-3 minutes. I noticed this yesterday after responding to this post. I had this idea that I frequented social media constantly, but it just feels that way since I'm looking at it every day.

I haven't used WhatsApp. Isn't it just a texting app?

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It is a texting app but it's much better to use it if you don't have messages available, plus you end up only using 1kb per message so it's cheaper than recharging your phone. Considering Facebook's Messenger takes up 300kb per text it's a pretty great texting app.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

At my software development job we have a rule in which Facebook, Reddit and Twitter are blocked off when it's "crunch time" (means time to work hard) simply because you can search a profile on Facebook then end up wasting 20 minutes looking at cute animal videos there.

SirJoe likes this.
  13. Sue

Sue Active Member

I spend a far amount of time on FB. I don't post all that much but it keeps me in contact with friends and family that live away. I like to look at pictures and chat with people. I am not much of a person to talk on the phone so its nice to chat it up on FB. I check in many times throughout the day.

14. kgord

kgord Active Member

I peruse it a few times a day just to see if there is any new content, but I don't spend hours on there or anything. I play words with friends, so glancing at the main page is just something that is easy to do.

15. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I just have Facebook and although it is usually online at all times, it is because I work from my home and of course from my lap top. This just helps me to contact some of my friends and my girlfriend easier. I do not comment, like, or write statuses. I do not waste time. I play a game that I really like. It is called Slagalica and it is a version of a popular Quiz Show in Serbia. That is that.

16. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I often hear people talk about how they only use Facebook to play games and I often fail to realize that this can be the case for a lot of users. Facebook has some cool games that you can play with your friends.

17. justintheruffian

It depends on the week for me. There will be some weeks where I love just sitting on Facebook and enjoying the gossip, but others I want nothing to do with it. Right now, during election season, I try to stay up. I've hit ignore on so many profiles lately it's been pretty boring. I used to be a big Twitter user too, but I've since stopped. I basically never use it. Maybe once a week I'll tweet, but that's a rarity. Never use Instagram though. I think it's pointless since I can upload pictures on Facebook.

18. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I'm a amateur photographer and FB is a great place to share my photos with friends. I don't really post much else, but I have received complaints about that, not about the photos but not posting anything else . lol

Sue likes this.
  19. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

When you have a personal page you need to be active, especially if you want to see growth :p. I remember starting a design gig a few years ago and people were giving me crap for not updating with new templates every day.

20. Norm A

Norm A Member

I use a lot of social media for my online business marketing, but personally, I also just check my facebook for a few minutes and that's it. Maybe I don't have enough friends or close family and that's why... Don't know.