Hip Hop Music

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by FuZyOn, Jul 6, 2016.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I can't be the only one around here who listens to hip hop music here, I love the likes of Eminem, Dre, Tupac, Xzibit, D12, Kendric Lamar and the list goes on and on. I used to listen to a lot of rock when I was a teenager but I don't like it as much anymore. :p Anyone listening to rap on this forum?

2. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I love Hip Hop music! I used to have a lot of love for Eminem (still do,) but right now I'm listening to a lot of underground hip hop. I attended a show a few months ago and fell in love with hip hop all over again.

One of my favorite MCs is Slug of Atmosphere. Atmosphere has to be one of my favorite projects. Everything they produce is golden and poetic. They cover a lot of "real" situations that I can relate to.

I still listen to a bit of everything, but hip hop has a special place in my heart. I just try to steer clear of anything in the mainstream media, since it's usually about boobs and butt, ha ha.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

Rap is not really my cup of tea, but then I am over 50...so it probably wouldn't be. I don't hate it though actually. Some of it especially when it is combined with other types of music is interesting. I think I like it more than jazz.

4. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I listen to all different types of music. Hip hop and rap are ok, I wouldn't say it's my go to music genera. I prefer heavy rock or metal.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, everything in the mainstream media and a lot of modern rap songs are all about girls, money and drugs which is pretty sad considering this genre is supposed to spread a message. Who are your favorite underground rappers?

6. artyarson

artyarson Member

I rarely listen to hip-hop but I have nothing against that. Instead, I prefer rap-rock and rapcore/nu-metal. These genres still contain a lot of hip-hop elements but have a more powerful sound.

7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

It saddens me because there is so much more to rap other than sex, drugs, and women. My all time favorite rapper is Slug of Atmosphere. I enjoy him because he involves a lot of poetry and talks about real life situations. He uses his music to make people aware of whats going on around them and to me that is super admirable.

I really enjoy JJ Demon, though he is not everyone's cup of tea. He has a lot of annoying songs, but when he releases his more "serious" music, it's worth listening to.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

JJ Demon doesn't really fit my tastes but I see why you'd listen to him, he has a strong message. Slug of Atmosphere seems like a good rapper, I wonder why he doesn't promote himself as much.

9. Sue

Sue Active Member

I do listen to it from time to time. There is some good stuff and some really bad stuff. I use to do music reviews so I have heard many different rappers. Some of them were so bad that I couldn't even listen to them. They were downright crude. Then there were others that I really enjoyed. My ex son-in-law was a rapper and traveled across Canada playing different venues. He is very talented. It was a waste of a good talent. He really could have had a bright future a head of him.

#9 Sue, Jul 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

So pretty much you listened to "rappers" like Young Thug or Fetty Wap and realized it was impossible to listen to them? That's how I feel whenever I hear one of their songs. What's your ex son-in-law name, if you don't mind? :D

11. Sue

Sue Active Member

He went by the name of Dunn Hustle. He has quite a few songs on Youtube.

12. justintheruffian

Yep, yep. Big hip-hop fan here. Love a wide variety of different hip-hop too. From experimental to gangster rap, it's all for me. Kendrick Lamar is definitely my favorite right now. I've also been listening to a lot of Pusha T, Kanye West (I know, I know), Aesop Rock, Jay Rock, Flatbush Zombies, and Lil Dicky.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I listened to this song: and I kind of love the beat and flow, though the lyrics can be improved. It's sad that he didn't get promoted to a big record house, he could've made some serious cash.

Sue likes this.
  14. Sue

Sue Active Member

@FuZyOn I agree. He could have had a lot of success had he had the right manager to steer him in the right direction.

15. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

No you're not. I really love Eminem and although I do not like those recent albums as much as I loved all of those until the re-up which was also very good I still listen to Eminem and I believe that he is a modern critique and he is a necessity. I would like him to go back to his old ideas and forget this RnB stuff for a while.

16. Sue

Sue Active Member

I preferred Eminem back in the day. I thought his music was much better back then. I still listen to him but I just don't enjoy his albums are much as I use to. I would also like to see him go back to his old ways.

17. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Eminem grew up and he's not coming back, but I still enjoy his songs. It's clear that the anger flame he had has died out but his lyrics have matured over the years, I enjoy listening to his punchlines and flow more now.

18. Norm A

Norm A Member

I've never been a fan of hip hop but I have to admit, when I've had a few drinks it does start to sound good to me. Ok to be honest, when I've had a few drinks, almost everything sounds good to me...

Sue likes this.
  19. Sue

Sue Active Member

lol ain't that the truth. It is amazing what a few drinks too many drinks will do to ya. I have been known to get up and sing karaoke after a few too many and I never sing. The crowds seems to enjoy it but then again they all had a few too many too!! lol Good Times!

20. Sue

Sue Active Member

Has anybody watched the new Netflix series "The Get Down." It documents hip-hop in the days before it was truly documented. It is a really good series. I just started watching it the other day and I am already hooked. I would highly recommend it.