Cooking With Liquor

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by kgord, Jun 12, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Active Member

Are there any recipes you make where you cook with liquor? I don't cook with alcoholic beverages on a regular basis, but they can be added to many recipes to enrich the flavor. One thing I like is adding light beer to pancakes it makes them very fluffy. Beer in chili is also good. Wine in beef stew is awesome. I have even made a crockpot rum cake.

2. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I have made cakes, burgers, steaks, soups, stews, sauces and shrimp tacos with beer, wine and liquor. Those are just a few things that are on the top of my head. I also made a shake with Baileys once.

3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I love cooking with different kinds of liquor. One of my favorite things to eat involves cooking bratwurst in beer. I love adding different liqours to cake as well. It makes for a unique flavor and can be kid friendly at the end of the night, since the actual alcohol content is removed during the cooking process. I have used liquor in jello shots, but I don't think that counts as much. I'm not a big fan of jello to begin with.

Another great thing to do is reduce a liquor for dressings.

4. kgord

kgord Active Member

I forgot about the sausages in beer. That is pretty awesome as well. I have made a crockpot beer, sausagsauerkraut, giger and brown sugar recipe in the crockpot that was awesome. Certain foods seem to marry together with beer and those are some of them.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Alcoholic drinks can really bring out a lot in a dish. Red wine can really give meat dishes depth and white wine a certain amount of fruitiness to fish dishes. Beer is a natural meat tenderizer, so it's always a good option when preparing tougher meats, but it also can give lightness too a meal due to it's carbonation.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I always cook duck, steak or even chicken with a hint of wine and I tend to add a little alcohol to fish as well, it gives it a nice aftertaste (I only tried with perch and trout so far though).

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Wine is normally used to remove that bit that gets stuck to the frying pan after you fry your steak and is used to make sauces. In a good kitchen nothing is wasted.

8. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I wasn't aware there was such a thing as cooking without liquor. Just kidding of course but it is true that I use wine in most of my meals. Red wine for red meat and white wine for white meat. Beer is also an option with BBQ stuff and Cognac is very good for some sweets as is Rum.

lexinonomous likes this.
  9. crimsonghost747

both beer and red wine work well in all sorts of stews. It really helps to enrich the flavour and if you get lucky you'll get to drink some too since the recipe rarely calls for a full bottle. :p

lexinonomous likes this.
  10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I am salivating due to your response. I only recently tried a stew made with beer. It was one of the most delicious stews I have ever had. I have been itching to make some soup with beer and sausage. I'd imagine sausage would work well- or even a themed stew, similar to barbecue.

11. crimsonghost747

Beer and sausage soup definitely sounds interesting. Do you have a specific recipe in mind that you want to try?

As for stews, it's a classic but definitely one of the best foods I can think of: Boeuf bourguignon.

kgord likes this.
  12. Sue

Sue Active Member

I rarely use it to cook. I've do add beer to my chili and it is awesome and I agree stew with beer is the best but I have not done much more then that. I remember once when I was a teenager we were making pizza dough and we used vodka in place of the water. lol surprisingly it really turned out quite good.

kgord likes this.
  13. kgord

kgord Active Member

Boeuf bourguignon. is simply awesome, but it is a alot of work, cooking and chopping all the beef. I was in the kitchen all day. I wonder if you could just pour some wine in a can of Dinty Moore Beef Stew...lol. Somehow I just don't think it would taste the same!

14. Norm A

Norm A Member

I haven't been big on cooking until lately when I started taking cooking and baking lessons. I was inspired by my little girl, she lovesd it when we spend time in the kitchen together making breakfast. Ican't wait to try out new recipes, and I especially want to try the ones that use liquor in them. Must be heavenly...