Ever Tended Bar Professionally?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy-O, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Hey pals. Have you ever, past or present, worked as a bartender? How did you like it? How was the pay and tips? Did you find it fun or depressing?

Thanks for sharing any experiences. :)

AngelaMc likes this.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I worked as a bartender helper when I was younger, I used to help him with orders and the transactions, sometimes he let me be the bartender which was cool. The pay was decent for a college student, I got a lot of money from tips.

3. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I did take a bartending class in college and was a bar back for a local restaurant. I was never an official bartender in a bar, but I have bartended friend's parties and I would do bartending at catering gigs in college.

4. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

From what I've been told by some of my pallies in the trade, one can really clean up with the tips. I'm not sure how true it is, but I generally trust what they say. Thanks for the insight.

5. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

I have bartended at several places. Pay, particularly tips, depends on the type of establishment it is, as well as your relationships with regular customers. Some bars in economically depressed areas are still busy, but the tips aren't as great because everyone is watching their wallet so closely. However, if you get to know your people, you can still manage to make a decent wage doing it, even if it is just a hole-in-the-wall. I have tended bar in places that also had a much more well-to-do clientele. These people do tend to be more of a pain in the butt, but I'm sure they are expecting to get what they pay for, so to speak.

thisnthat likes this.
  6. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

The only bar tending that I have done was at parties. Unfortunately no tips, only people jeering me on.
    I had a friend of mine that want an umbrella and a cherry for his beer. So I put a prune and tooth pick into his beer. :D
    I would like to try professional bar tending but I don't know if I have the knack for it.

7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, bartenders or delivery people make a big part of their salary from tips, that's why in America at least tips count as part of your salary and you get paid depending on how much of them you got. It's a pretty weird law.

8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I have never tended a bar professionally, but my old band was invited to guest bar tend for an event. It was a fun experience, being behind the bar. It was tiresome explaining to people that this was not my regular job, though. I dealt with numerous people that were upset with me for either being too slow or just all around not knowledgeable. It helped me gain a bigger respect for bartenders and everything they have to go through, working with customers.

I remember making simple things, like Jack and Coke. I feared overpouring throughout the night.

9. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

It is a weird law. And by weird, I mean total BS. Waiters/waitresses/bartenders should be paid at least minimum wage and then tips on top of that. I don't work in those fields, and am a salaried white collar worker, and I still find that law obnoxious.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Well they're paid at least minimum wage but yeah, their salary is highly dependant on the tips. That's why it's hard to be a bartender or waitress in places like Silicon Valley where people tip a lot. :D

11. artyarson

artyarson Member

Well, I have worked as a bartender for a while. Prior to that, I had some school finished. I was taught how to handle myself while working and other stuff. I've learned mixology there as well. It's a cool job and I wished I could work there for a longer time but a have a lot of other life goals to pursue.

12. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have never worked at a bar but my daughter is a bartender and she really likes it. She makes really good money too. She has has a lot of other jobs but she said this one by far pays the best. The tips are awesome! She makes way more money then I do. She on occasion has some trouble with customers but overall most people are good and she said you meet a lot of interesting people.

13. Norm A

Norm A Member

I actually worked in a bar for over five years in my early twenties and it was the best time of my life. I got to do work that was exciting and fun and I met all sorts of characters you wouldn't believe. And the tips were great too. I wouldn't want to work as a bartender now, but back then it was great.

thisnthat, Daddy-O and Sue like this.
  14. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

All "sorts of characters". I bet you could tell some awesome stories. If you care to share any, I'm sure we'd enjoy. :D

15. kgord

kgord Active Member

I had a very brief career as a bartender. I just wasn't very good at it, purely and simply. I doubt that I would ever try it again, unless it was a place that was very slow.

16. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Was it too much "hustle and bustle" to keep up with the work? I know some establishments can be pretty slammed. There are, of course, more mellow joints though.

17. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

The whole idea of bar tending is a bit romanticized, I think that you either are good at it or not. I am with you, I was just not made for bar tending, it's all good and well serving some drinks and having a laugh, it's a whole other story actually being good at it.

18. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

Hello @Daddy-O , I did some Bartending in my day. I have to admit I really enjoyed it. I usually had the same crowd, which I called my regulars. I was Bartending in a little Irish Pub in my hometown and yes we pretty much all new each other.;)

The tips were great, it was a blast being employed there, and I loved it. From time to time I still stop in there to reminisce. It's been open for years. Let me tell you there is never a dull moment when you bartend.:)

thisnthat likes this.
  19. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have not, and that is probably a good thing for everyone. I am pretty unorganized, and do not do well under stress, so that means I would probably be a pretty terrible server in any fashion.

20. tony

tony Active Member

I haven't worked as a bartender but I know someone who has. It has it's interesting side of which is the tips you may get once in a while from customers. But for a lady she may suffer embarrassment sometimes from unruly men.