Unique Flavored Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by lexinonomous, Jul 26, 2016.

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

There are so many different beers to select from, but every once in a while you will come across a unique flavor. Root beer flavored beer has been fairly popular in stores. I've also noticed that craft beer/sodas have gained popularity in the last year. One of the most unique flavors I've come across was a black cherry beer that was meant to taste like black cherry soda.

With all of these unique flavors making their way to the public, there's bound to be something unique.

What is the most unique flavored beer you've tried?

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

I am not sure that I have had that many of them. I think the beer I have talked about on here before the Hardywood Gingerbread Stout was probably it, as it had so many hints and undertones of spice in it. I also one time had a Pyramid Apricot Ale, that I think was out of Anchorage AK. It sounds kind of iffy, but was actually quite good.

lexinonomous likes this.
  3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Unfortunately I don't drink flavored beer because I don't find the taste appealing, but I did come across pineapple beer which I thought had a very diverse taste. It was pretty sweet for a beer.

4. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

I have tried a sorrel flavored beer and being a lover of sorrel previously and I really like the taste. I was surprised at first when I saw that sorrel beer mix. There is this beer company in my country which has embarked on this drive to add flavors to their beers. I will be trying out other flavors to see if I would like them also.

5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I haven't come across any Gingerbread flavored beers, though I could see myself really enjoying it. I really like flavored beers. I think they put a nice unique twist onto a regular beer and offer something completely different than what I'm used to. Gingerbread sounds super unique and would probably have a taste similar to the Pumpkin ales I've had. :)

I'm not a big fan of Pyramid, though I really enjoy fruit infused beers.

6. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think the fruit infused beers are probably similar to the shandy's that have been talked about on previous threads. I don't drink a lot of beer as a rule, I prefer wine, but I might buy some of the Shandy's just to check them out. I think they are bound to be good, and will hit the spot on these hot days. THere seem to be a lot of makers as well which is a plus!

7. Sue

Sue Active Member

I had a raspberry flavored beer a few months back and it was terrible. I gagged my way through the bottle. I bought a six pack at the time because I thought it may be a nice summer drink but I ended up handing them out to people when they came to visit. I will never buy it again.

8. justintheruffian

"Most" unique is kind of hard for me to decide, but there's a local craft beer called "Wheach" that's a wheat peach flavored beer. It has a very distinct flavor of both wheat beer and peach but it also has a unique flavor altogether. I actually think it's pretty good, but some people get annoyed when they learn it's not nearly as fruity as it appears.

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That's what I was thinking. I like my shandy's but normally they are mixed with carbonated sodas. Flavored beers normally just have an additive. I have had some good and really bad flavored beers. I'm glad to hear that you are thinking of giving the shandy's a go, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

10. Sue

Sue Active Member

I had the Coors Lite Iced T and it was pretty good. Not something I would want to drink a whole lot of but it was good for a drink or two. I don't usually drink Coors Lite but I wanted to give the Iced T a try. I would buy it again though.

11. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I have seen a lot of ads for Coors online but unfortunately it's not available were I live. The only American beer that is available here is Budweiser that are priced the same as the Belgian beers.

Sue likes this.
  12. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I generally avoid any kind of flavor infusing in beer. I just don't care for it. But to each their own.

Though I might need to turn in my "man card" for admitting this, I did have a few of those "Ritas" (e.g., Lime-A-Rita) that Bud puts out in the summer months. I wouldn't say I was totally hip to them, but when the weather was north of 100° this summer, an ice cold one hit the spot.

Sue likes this.
  13. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I tried something that had Root Beer stamp on but it was terrible. I had it on Malta and I remember I had to drink a six pack to wash the taste and after taste of it. Maybe it was ginger beer or something like that but since I love ginger I highly doubt that it was it. I like to stick with good old pils.

Sue likes this.
  14. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have never tried the lime a Ritas but they are very popular around here. The sales are quite high for them.

15. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

For what they are, they aren't bad. And I'm not a big fan of "sweet and fizzy". Still, on a really hot day, they can hit the spot. And it is easier to just crack a can than mix up drinks.

Sue likes this.
  16. Sue

Sue Active Member

That makes perfect sense. I am on a week's vacation this week so maybe I will give them a try during our camping trip later this week. Hoping for some warm weather to round out the camping season.

17. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Good deal on the vacation time. There is nothing like a little time off to unwind. Enjoy your trip. :)

Sue likes this.
  18. Sue

Sue Active Member

Thanks it should be lots of fun.

19. kgord

kgord Active Member

I sort of think that the infused beers are more like wine coolers actually. I just don't know that they would actually taste that much like beers. However, I plan to try some kind of shandy so I can render an opinion on this after I do. I have had apricot infused beer and that was really pretty good.

Sue likes this.
  20. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Shandy's normally don't taste like full out beer but rather have a hint of beer. It can give that extra something to a boring soda.