Do You Have A Favorite Bourbon?

Discussion in 'Bourbon Forum' started by kgord, May 27, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Active Member

How long have you been drinking it? What do you like about it? Do you prefer it over whisky? How do you prefer it? Are you a straight up kind of person or do you like it on the rocks? I am not sure that people mix bourbon as much as they do whisky.

TakKovacs likes this.
  2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I only drink bourbon in mixes, I usually buy a cheap brand from the local store, I don't care too much about it. Whisky is the best for me.

3. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I have been drinking since the age of 21. I was one of those people that had to wait until I was 21 years old to experience alcohol. I don't know why, but it became somewhat of a goal for me. I'm pretty versatile when it comes to how I drink my alcohol. I don't mind having a drink on the rocks, but I like a chaser on occasion.

I like a mixed drink, but I prefer to drink whisky on it's own.

4. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think Wild Turkey is a really good flavorful kind of bourbon. That is one that is very plentiful here in the United States, and it has a very good reputation. It is a very solid and delicious caramely kind of bourbon, and one that most people enjoy I think.

5. Destiny

Destiny Member

It certainly is delicious but DAMN at $50 a bottle I don't drink it too often.

kgord likes this.
  6. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yeah, strictly for special ocassions. Oh well, taste comes at a premium I guess. Maybe a holiday, birthday or graduation it might come in handy. It could be priced a bit less, they would sell more of it for sure!

7. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

It is pretty old school and it isn't exactly top shelf, but I've always liked Old Crow Bourbon. For various mixes, it just works. For plan old "bourbon and water" it does the trick.

8. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I like a little bourbon on the rocks and I have to sip it because it burns when it goes down. I do enjoy it in the summer time though and can have a nice relaxing drinking sitting on my front porch. i do love those hot summer nights.

9. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Big +1 to this. There are few things as enjoyable a siping some good drinks, smoking a fine cigar, looking at the stars, and enjoying some peace and quiet. On a really hot night, I love a TnT (Tequila and Tonic) and Rocky Patel. Thank goodness summer is here. :)

Sue likes this.
  10. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have been drinking bourbon for a number of years. Don't remember when I first had it. I like it on the rocks. I prefer whisky over bourbon though.

11. TakKovacs

TakKovacs New Member

Been drinking bourbon most of my life, and the one that is most constant has to be Woodford Reserve. It's a little pricey sometimes, but absolutely worth it.
    For a little less Jim Beam Black is also very, very good.
    I like my bourbon with a couple cubes of ice. A little water brings the flavors out. They even suggest adding small amounts of water at bourbon tastings. I remember being very surprised to hear that, but when added it really does make the flavors in the bourbon "pop" a bit more.

12. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I don't think I've ever had Woodford Reserve. A quick price check does put it several clicks above other offerings. But if it is good stuff, then the price of admission would be worth it. Sometimes you just have to go quality.

13. larryl332

larryl332 New Member

Wild Turkey is very delicious, but it is certainly strong. If I remember correctly, too, I think it is pretty expensive, so that never works in its favor for me. I am not a big bourbon drinker, but I would say this is probably the most recognized and most popular.

14. esilv

esilv New Member

I have never actually had Wild Turkey. Does it take like turkey at all? That would be strange, considering it is meant to be an alcoholic beverage and not a type of food. It's an interesting name.

15. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

Nо еxpеrt, but I likе Blаntоn's. еаsy tо gеt, dеliсiоus, wоn't put mе in thе pооrhоusе.
    Thе diffеrеnt соrks аrе kindа fun. 'саusе I'm 12 yеаrs оld insidе. Dоn't judgе.
    Fоr mixеd drinks I likе Bullеit.

16. tony

tony Active Member

I don't consume much of bourbon though I like the main composition which is corn. So far I do not really have a favorite brand or make.

17. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

:) Every now and then I will buy Ancient Age, it's been around for along time. My father would have a bottle or two in the house for guests when they came over, therefore I acquired a taste for it also when I got older. It's a simple and smooth 80 proof Bourbon that's been held in high regard for years. I like it on the rocks.:)

18. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I cannot really say that I have a favorite brand, but generally I like the darker ones, they tend to taste better. They are more expensive though, usually.

19. kgord

kgord Active Member

It sounds like Ancient Age would be one to try. Bourbon does seem to be pretty expensive though. It is just one of the things that I would like to try and I don;t know that I will get the chance to.

20. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I would say Evan Williams is one of my favorite bourbons and pretty cheap as well, also it has a nice taste about it. They say though Evan Williams was a Welsh immigrant and was the first person to make bourbon in Kentucky,so they say. The nose has a some dark fruit and woody smells and it has tastes of dark fruits and peppery spices.