Do You Drink At Live Shows?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by artyarson, Jul 1, 2016.

1. artyarson

artyarson Member

Any fans of live music out here? Or, maybe, music in general? Do you like going out and watching your fav bands play live?

It usually happens in clubs, in my experience. I've not seen a club without any kind of bar area. So, do you drink while seeing some band or prefer staying sober?

2. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

If there is beer available I will always have one or two. I don't get drunk but do like seeing a concert with a nice cold one in my hand.

3. crimsonghost747

It really depends. I'm like Joe, I don't like to get drunk when at concerts but a beer or two might be in order. That is assuming I can grab the beer and still have a good place for the show.. and that I can actually drink it without spilling it all! (rock & metal concerts can get pretty wild in front of the stage)

SirJoe likes this.
  4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I do drink a beer or two when I'm at a concert or live show, but that's about it. I don't like getting drunk while I'm there because I want to enjoy the experience and have fun, I don't want to be blacked out. :p

5. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

It pains me to admit it, but is has been a very long time since I've gone to a live show of any size. Some of the jazz clubs I've been to have had live music though. That said, I have had some brewskies at large events in the past, and mixed drinks at the smaller joints more recently.

6. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

I haven't been to a jazz club in some time, which pains me to say. I love jazz and love going to clubs, but there really is only one in my immediate area without travelling an hour or so out of my way. However, I do attend other live shows and concerts in different musical genres. In fact, I am going to a reggae fest today that is being held at a popular water park. I do plan to drink and at most shows I tend to drink, although I try not to get too out of hand since I am around a bunch of strangers.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member

Well here in this rural area, there are not a lot of live shows to go to, but most of them are in wineries or restaurants that have a featured bar area, so yes, I do tend to drink when I go to live shows. However, it is not a lot as I am usually driving..so my drinking is limited to one or two.

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

@crimsonghost747 I have been there, I once went to a live concert were the served draft beer in plastic cups. I got myself a beer and went back to were my friends were. I must have spilt more then half my beer on my way back. I learned my lesson. Now I normally will finish my beer before I try to make my way back.

9. Destiny

Destiny Member

Yes, always. It's just not fun if you don't have a few drinks. Or, well... half a dozen with the piss water 3 point beer they serve at shows where I live.

10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I love anything and everything to do with music. It's been a long time since I last attended a live show. I would love to go see a few bands live, but I just haven't had the time. I will be attending Warped Tour in August, so I'm looking forward to that more than anything.

I try to avoid drinking at live shows. It never results in a good time for me. I am usually the designated driver and that makes for a definite "no" to drinking. If I do have the chance to drink, I will only have one or two beers. I don't really enjoy being drunk in public, so I try to avoid that.

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I used to drink but I realize I only drank when I really didn't like the band or the type of music and when I was there to usually see somebody I wanted. Now however, I grew up and I don't give a **** about going to events I do not like in order to see somebody. I just go to places and concerts that I want and I am sober there. It is a nice music.

12. Sue

Sue Active Member

I always enjoy having a few drinks when I attend outdoor concerts. To me the two of them just go together nicely. You usually get to meet up with people you haven't seen in a while and it makes for a good time!

13. justintheruffian

I go to live shows all the time. I'll usually get a drink or two, but I never strive to get drunk. I think it ruins the experience for me. I like being in a sound state of mind when I'm seeing my favorite band live. I guess for an example, the last concert I went to I had two tall boys and stopped. The same goes for stand up comedy shows, actually.

Sue likes this.
  14. Norm A

Norm A Member

Live shows just wouldn't feel so good if I didn't have a couple of beers, at least. I never get drunk because then you tend to miss out on most of the fun, but I do find that I have to drink a certain amount to get myself into the right sort of mood for it.

Sue likes this.
  15. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have to agree with you on that one. You have to have a certain amount to drink to set the mood for such an event. I can't imagine going to a live show and not drinking at all.

16. TayH

TayH New Member

I don't usually drink at gigs because 1 the lines are always huge and I'd rather be watching the band and 2 I can usually be found in the mosh which many venues don't allow you to go anywhere near the stage with a drink in hand and even if they did you would get to drink a drop maybe and would spill the rest anyway so there really isn't much point.

17. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I haven't been to a live show in over a year and it pains me to say no, I do not drink at live events! The drinks are too expensive! I am the ratchet queen who will drink in the parking lot before heading in. I am not proud to admit it, but I am not the only one doing this!

18. iRichard

iRichard New Member

I recently went to a live show to see Kevin Bacon play. I had one beer, but I just wanted to enjoy the show, because I'm not going to see another one maybe next year. After the show, I'd grab another beer and spend time with my friends.

19. artyarson

artyarson Member

That's pretty much the way most people act at live shows. Venues are happy too If they are actually earning money from their bar area.

20. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

They can go overboard when it comes to drink prices at live shows. That's how come you have so many people smuggling drinks in.