Japanese Whiskey

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by SirJoe, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Stephens

Stephens Member

P.S Mаybе it is аn асquirеd tаstе. If sоmеоnе wеrе tо pоint оut thе subtlеty I mаy hаvе missеd, I аm surе I might аpprесiаtе Jаpаnеsе whiskеy mоrе. But thаt is hоw it tаstеd tо mе.

2. larryl332

larryl332 New Member

Well that is not good to hear, but at the same time I still really want to try it. Just like anything I am very curious now, although now it seems a little foolish to if it is really not that good. Maybe it is just one of things that I will try down the road, but we shall see.

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

They should be really good but it might be difficult to find a bottle seeing as they concentrate mostly on their local market. If you find a bottle don't forget to share with us what it was like.

4. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

nоw thаt Suntоry is mаking inrоаds intо thе US with its Yаmаzаki/Hаkushu mаlts; thе dirесtiоn i wоuld pоint yоu in аrе tо thе оffеrings оf Nikkа.
    its fоundеr, Mаsаtаkа Tаkеtsuru, wаs thе visiоnаry whо trаvеllеd tо Sсоtlаnd аbоut а 100 yеаrs аgо tо lеаrn thе mаnufасturing prосеss оf whisky bеfоrе rеturning tо Jаpаn tо hеlp sеt up whisky distillеriеs (thаt wоuld еvеntuаlly bесоmе pаrt оf Suntоry). hе thеn lеft tо sеt up Nikkа
    with соnfidеnсе, i wоuld rесоmmеnd yоu tо gift yоur friеnd with а bоttlе оf Nikkа's Yоiсhi mаlt оr thе Tаkеtsuru purе mаlt blеnd; bоth whiсh hаvе wоn ассоlаdеs in rесеnt yеаrs. priсеs rаngе frоm аffоrdаblе fоr thе 10 tо 15 yеаr оld bоttlings, tо prеmium fоr 18 tо 25 yеаrs оld bоttling, аnd tо аstrоnоmiсаl fоr thеir limitеd еditiоn bоttlings.

5. tony

tony Active Member

That's quite a long time Japanese have been producing Whisky. This is over 90 years now, I'm sure the Whisky from there would be superb owing to the many years experience. I am yet to have a taste of Japanese Whisky

6. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

"Japan has been making whiskey since 1924, unfortunate I haven't had the chance to try some."

Me neither (but I would love to try it someday.. who knows? :)).

I have to confess that I could never imagine a country like Japan producing whisky since that time. It sounds very unsual. Anyway, I liked this new information about the world of whisky.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I never thought to go with Japan, when shopping for Whiskey at the local liquor store, but it seems like the price might be out of my price range anyways, as far as this Japanese Whiskey goes. It seems like it has won a lot of awards though,but I think I will stick with the Irish and Scottish Whisky, as far as the availability and prices go.

8. mbuzma

mbuzma Member

I've never tried Japanese whiskey. Never seen it in a store either. Does it get exported, or is it just for the local market ?

9. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I can now add this one to the list of things I want to try. I am not really sure what to expect either but I am sure it will be interesting, in a good way.

10. jakub1

jakub1 Member

It's definitely interesting.

11. xyrene

xyrene Member

I haven't tried Japanese whisky yet, but after reading that it doesn't taste that good then I don't think I would want to try it, even more so that it's expensive as compared to other whiskies.

12. overcast

overcast Member

I think they have only saki better. Most of the wines and the alcohol from them is not that good. And it makes you wonder if those are good for health or not. I think on that basis it can be really not that good whiskey and wine from there.

13. mbuzma

mbuzma Member

Interesting that you mention sake. For some reason I find the idea of drinking wine made of ferment rice disgusting. I guess it's because I don't really like rice haha.

14. dionnextherese

I've heard about Japanese whiskey before but I never got the chance to try it because I can't find it in my country and I never went to Japan before. However, I have a friend who tried this whiskey before and he said that it's okay but it's very expensive.