Hоw Dо Yоu Knоw If Yоu Аrе Drinking А Gооd Bееr?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by AlexZ, Jan 18, 2017.

1. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

Hоw dо yоu knоw if yоu аrе drinking а gооd bееr?
    I dоn't drink beer аnd sо I wоndеr whаt it fееls likе tо drink а bееr. Shоuld yоu bе еxpесting tо burp (I wоuld whеn drinking sоft-drink)? Hоw аbоut things likе соlоr, аppеаrаnсе, аnd frаgrаnсе?

2. Terry

Terry Member

Еvеry bееr hаs diffеrеnt аspесts thаt shоuld сlоsеly mаtсh thе stylе thаt it is lаbеlеd аs. Fоr еxаmplе, I just hаd thе "Mаngо еvеn Kееl" by Bаllаst Pоint. I саn dеfinitеly tаstе thе mаngо in thе bееr, but а gооd bееr wоuld оnly usе thе mаngо аs аn аdjunсt tо аdd сhаrасtеr tо it. Thе stylе оf this bееr is аn IPа, sо thе mаin gоаl оf this bееr is tо fаll intо а сеrtаin соlоr аspесt (yеllоw tо brоwnish fоr IPа), hаvе а сеrtаin аmоunt оf fоаm (gеnеrаlly аbоut аn inсh), mееt сеrtаin bittеrnеss rеquirеmеnts (аlsо knоwn аs hоp аttributеs, whiсh usuаlly соmе frоm thе Humulus lupulus plаnt), аnd hаvе а niсе саrbоnаtiоn kiсk аnd smооth mоuth-fееl. а gооd bееr will usuаlly smеll niсе аs wеll, whеrе if it is оvеrly bооzy thеn it might nоt аppеаl tо thе drinkеr (whаt yоu tаstе is prеtty muсh bаsеd оn yоur sеnsе оf smеll, sinсе if yоu try tо еаt with а соld, yоu might nоt bе аblе tо tаstе it wеll.. right?)

3. Stephens

Stephens Member

Whеn judging а bееr, bееr judgеs соmpаrе thе bееr tо whаt is еxpесtеd fоr thаt stylе. а lоt оf brеwеrs аrе gоing оff thе rаils аnd аdding аll sоrts оf stuff tо сhаngе thе сhаrасtеristiс оf а bееr thаt is suppоsеd tо rеprеsеnt а stylе in thе nаmе оf еxpеrimеntаtiоn. But thеrе аrе quаntitаtivе stаndаrds likе IBUs, аBV аnd SRM thаt dеfinе а stylе by thе numbеrs.

4. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would say that most times you can kind of tell just by the look and feel of the brand and things like that, even the cost. You can also tell by the taste of course, but me not so much.

5. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I'm no expert, but the aroma always grabs me first. Like Terry said, it makes a difference in how the beer will taste. The finish (how it tastes after you swallow it, or the aftertaste) also matters to me. I've tasted some beer that has a surprising finish, which may or may not be pleasant.

I don't like a boozy tasting beer or those where the flavors are overpowering. I prefer subtle notes of flavor.

6. tony

tony Active Member

This is the reason before I get down to drink any beer I take time to read about the ingredients in the beer. If I understand the constituents and they are fine by me then I'd assume I am drinking a good beer.

7. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I beg to differ about judging by the cost. Some quite decent beers are very affordable while others are expensive for no apparent reason.

You also have mass produced beers that some consider imposters like Blue Moon and such (and then there is the current lawsuit against Walmart over fake craft beer. The last lawsuit failed, so this probably won't go anywhere either).

Unfortunately, there is no real standard currently, or at least not a legally binding one, which must be followed in order to add "craft" to the label (and price tag).

8. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

For me it is the cost and the taste. The more the cost and the better the taste, the more is the increase in quality of beer.

I'm not sure about the hangover effects if there are any?

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

How do I know that I'm drinking a good beer? When I don't even realize the bottle is empty. I kid, I kid, personally I judge beer based on its cold taste. If it tastes good after it cools down then it's a quality brand.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

This depends on taste buds of the person drinking the beer,but they recommend a light beer because they are more delicate to start. I would try a lager type of beer because they have a more mild taste overall, while ales tend to be fruity tasting,and then you can start enjoying the complex favors of beer.

11. tony

tony Active Member

If it's a familiar beer, one which you have been drinking before, knowing whether it's good beer will be quite easy. You can easily match the taste with the others and tell. But if it's a new beer there maybe some difficulty figuring this out. Well I'll check the expiry date and the various constituents to have an idea of what I am taking.

12. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

What constitutes a good beer will be different depending on the person drinking it I feel. What I think is a good beer will be different to the next person, so it's hard to give a definitive answer.

I've mentioned before about the beer and wine snobs that will state what we HAVE to look for...it needs to cost over a certain amount, have a distinctive flavour, have an aroma that tempts the palette...all that kind of rubbish when I think most of us just want a beer that tastes nice, as a good effect on us and isn't all that expensive.

13. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I agree with @pwarbi. There are things that distinguish a beer, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will enjoy it. It really depends on what you like.

It's similar to "what's a good movie?" The critics will have very definite opinions, but I frequently disagree. They are judging based on specific criteria though (most of which doesn't matter to me). I'm just looking to be entertained.

Good beer kind of fits that situation too. I like what I like even if the critics say I shouldn't, ha ha.

A good example is IPAs. They seem to be the most popular, but they really aren't my favorite.

pwarbi likes this.
  14. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I agree and whatever the most popular drink is at the time, tends to be the one that people think is the best and that's not the case at all. These days it seems like there are new and 'trendy' beers coming out every week, and even though they may be popular because they are the new kid on the block, they seldom last.

Beers that have stood the test of time might be considered the best, even though they might not be to everyone's taste, because if they wasn't popular then surely they wouldn't still be being brewed.

thisnthat likes this.
  15. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Yeah, that's true. I'm not one to go with the trend just because it's cool. I have to actually like it. That's especially true when it comes to craft beer, since it isn't exactly cheap. I'm not going to pay extra for something because other people tell me it's what I should like.

I do like to read the reviews and get a sense of things. Sometimes, it helps me choose a new beer to try. At the same time, I'm not going to buy something that I don't think I'll like just because all the cool kids are drinking it.

pwarbi likes this.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

The cost is actually a big factor for a lot of people when it comes to craft beer, and that's why people want to know exactly what goes into it, because they are paying more.

For a good quality craft beer, I think people are prepared to pay the extra money, but if it's just a normal lager packaged in a different way and sold as a craft beer that's a different matter

thisnthat likes this.