Whаt Is Yоur Fаvоritе Сrаft Bееr?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by AlexZ, Mar 21, 2017.

1. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

Whаt is yоur fаvоritе сrаft bееr?
    Minе is а Littlе Sumpin’ Sumpin’ by Lаgаnitus.

2. Stephens

Stephens Member

Minе is аnd hаs bееn Siеrrа Nеvаdа Pаlе аlе fоr аlmоst 20 yеаrs. It’s nоthing spесiаl оr оvеr thе tоp, but prоvidеs а niсе stаplе I саn drink аll thе timе. It’s соnsistеnt, сrisp, аnd hаs just еnоugh hоp prеsеnсе. I hаvе triеd tо brеw this bееr mаny timеs tо nо аvаil sо thеy аrе dоing sоmеthing spесiаl. I prеfеr it in thе bоttlе bесаusе it’s bоttlе соnditiоnеd.
    I аlsо just lоvе Siеrrа Nеvаdа аnd Kеn Grоssmаn. It’s still а fаmily run businеss thоugh hе bесаmе а billiоnаirе this yеаr.

3. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

I have to admit that I'm not usually a fan of the so called craft beers, and usually stick to the mainstream brands when I do drink beer like Heineken and Budweiser.

Just recently though I did try a beer called 'Blue moon' and I enjoyed that so went and bought a couple of cases of it. It's readily available now in most stores here in the UK and I'd imagine the US, so if you are looking to try something new then I would certainly recommend that one.

4. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Unfortunately, the ones I like best are seasonal or limited release. My very favorite is Founder's Breakfast Stout, but it is only available from October through January. It practically flies off the shelves here, so it's not easy to get. Looking forward to some KBS soon too.

I also really like Boulevard Milk Stout, but it's a tasting room series beer that was only released in a sample pack. I did hear that it is going to be sold on its own, but it will still be seasonal. It will be called Tough Kitty Stout and should release in September.

pwarbi likes this.
  5. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

As well as the seasonal craft beers, another question to ask is when does a craft beer become a mainstream beer? I mentioned Blue Moon before and while that is still acknowledged as a craft beer, it's now sold all year round and in most supermarkets so is it still a craft beer?

For a drink to be considered a genuine craft beer, you mentioned that most of the ones you drink are seasonal but shouldn't that be one of the criteria, that they are only available at certain times and that's one of the things that make them unique?

6. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Some people don't consider Blue Moon a true craft beer (even though I believe it started as one), because it is mass produced by Coors. I've learned that Bud bought Goose Island too, so that's kind of sad.

Seasonal as a requirement - not necessarily. There are some great craft beers that are readily available year round. Founder's Porter is one, and it's one of my husband's favorites.

There is a definition for craft beer (although not a legally binding one). It's decided by how much beer is produced in a given time period. I think it has more to do with setting craft beer and mass produced beer apart. Smaller amounts are considered "crafted," mass produced, not so much.

pwarbi likes this.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

If that's the case then eventually we are gong to find that there won't be any true craft beers on the market. If a craft beer becomes popular and starts to get a name for itself then along will come one of the big players and buy it, therefore it won't be classed as a craft beer anymore.

I very much doubt that there would be any small brewer in the world that would turn down a multi-million dollar bid for their product, no matter how much they rather wouldn't because cash seems to be more important these days than anything else.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

That's a sad thought. I can't blame them, but yeah. The big guys always seem to run the little guys out of business (or buy them out as the case may be).

I tasted the best beer at a beerfest recently. I almost wish someone would make that one, but on a small scale. It was just from a home brewer, but it was so good. Best beer I've had there. It was a coconut stout.

Now, I need to see if I can find a readily available one to add to my list of favorites. I hear Boulevard makes one. I haven't tried it though.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I am not even really sure what qualifies as a craft beer anymore. It seems like a label that just gets thrown out there a lot. That said, there are some good local ones here.

10. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Well, I was hopeful that I might be able to locate some KBS, which will be out soon (for a limited time). Unfortunately, it's proving impossible to find anyplace nearby that can get their hands on it.

I'm not really in a position to take a road trip every time a good craft beer comes out though, so it looks like I'll miss out on another one.

Oh well, I'm sure I can find someone with good beer to take my money. :p

11. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I like Sierra Nevada pale ale also, but another good one, is made by the New Belgium Brewing company that makes some good pale ales I have heard,but I have only had the Fat Tire amber ale I must say. I would like to try some of the pale ales though,but they are known most for the Fat Tire amber ale which is a pretty tasty brew.