Do You Clean A Beer Can?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by DR KOKIL AGARWAL, Mar 17, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

Do you clean a beer can prior to drinking from it directly. I have heard of severe mouth and throat infections that can occur when exposed to a infected can. The container can be infected by many times of insects and animals that come in contact in with the stored cans.

So it always mandatory for me that I clean the can completely with a soft handkerchief prior to placing ot on my mouth. images (18).jpg

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, I've heard horror stories of rats infesting these cans, lately I've been buying beer cans that also have a safety lid on top. Most of the time I don't bother cleaning the can, which is bad practice.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I cannot say that I ever have, but I also cannot rule it out and say I never will. Maybe on some big camping trip or something when I am all fed up.

4. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

This is a case with most of the people most of the times. We really don't bother in the first place.

But there have been real incidences of such horror stories that have occurred so I would say it is wise to be careful.

Prevention is always better than cure everytime and everywhere.

5. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

Yes I also clean the top of a beer can before opening it. I usually try to get bottles but sometimes cans are far more economical. If I have access to water I will give it a quick rinse, if not I use a napkin or such to wipe it off good.:)

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  6. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

This is such a good, decent and healthy habit. Even I try to do so but at times it is my casual attitude towards things that prevents me to do so.

But if you are regular and particular about this habit then it is really worth a praise.

7. tony

tony Active Member

I don't just clean the beer can I wash under the running tap before I drink. I know there sure be dirt and microbes around the body that if I should go straight to drinking from the can without washing the risk of getting infection could be high.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  8. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

To wash the beer can prior to placing it on your mouth is no doubt a good habit. A can is sure to be the resting place of multiple microbes and dust. Moreover it has been transferred through many hands before it reached your hand. This makes cleaning the can more important and wise.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Member

Even though I have also heard the horror stories regarding infections that you can pick up from drinking out of cans, I don't really clean the can as such still. I may give it a wipe with my hand but that's about it.

If I ever did catch anything then I would probably start, but upto now...having drank out of cans all my life I've never had any issues so I don't really think about it.