Acidity After Drinking

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by DR KOKIL AGARWAL, May 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

It happens quite often that I face severe gastric acid attack and discomfort after consuming alcohol. It is only after proper medication that I get relieved. Are there any means to prevent this?

2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Yes I can certainly relate to this one, but it really depends on a whole host of factors. Or maybe it doesn't and I should just probably learn by now.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  3. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

I definitely get heartburn after having a couple of drinks. It's due to the sphincter relaxing too much, which produces stomach acid to escape. I usually take a Pepcid before drinking which is for acid reflux and you can get them over the counter, it really helps give it a try.

4. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

Till date I'm unable to fetch the correct underlying reason for this. It happens so abruptly that it is,completely beyond my understanding

5. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I would suggest making sure you have had enough to eat before you start drinking. Drinking on an empty stomach can cause a lot of issues.

You might also try drinking a glass of milk ahead of time to coat your stomach. This works for some people.

I don't generally get heartburn or reflux from a couple drinks, but it does happen sometimes. For me, it's usually because I haven't had much to eat beforehand.

6. tony

tony Active Member

To check gastric acid problems after drinking maybe reducing the volume of consumption will help. I do suffer this too and hence one of the reasons I am not a habitual drinker

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  7. Zero

Zero Member

Unless your condition becomes more severe then you shouldn't worry about it and as the others have said, just make sure you eat a bit before drinking as will help prevent the issue from happening.

8. tony

tony Active Member

One reason to worry, this acidity resulting from excess drinking could cause a purge. This can lead to too frequent stooling during that time.

9. xyrene

xyrene Member

My dad has an acidic stomach and he doesn't even drink. He vomits due to it from time to time. I think you can only manage that with over the counter medicines, but it will never go away or be cured completely. So I think that you should just go easy on drinking so as not to irritate your stomach.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

Also this could be a weight issue when it comes to acid reflux, so losing weight could be a solution to this problem. Excessive pressure inside the abdomen is one of the reasons for acid reflux, so losing belly fat may relieve some of your symptoms.

11. Bravosi

Bravosi New Member

Oddly enough, I have never experienced it (acidity). Not sure if because I have an immunity or I didn't drink enough...

12. overcast

overcast Member

Eating non veg food and then going for the drinking. That is surely going to cause the acidity. Because the liquid in alcohol often leads to that acidity.