Wine Coolers?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by Destiny, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Destiny

Destiny Member

I guess this would go under beer, since they're drank like beer by those who don't like traditional beer.

Personally, I prefer regular beer... I just like the taste. But, do you like wine Coolers like, Smirnoff and the such?

2. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have tried a number of different ones but I have never found one that I would like to drink on a regular basis. I just prefer beer. That is my drink of choice.

3. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I can't say I've ever developed a taste for wine coolers. My wife used to drink them, but not anymore. Pretty much all the "alcopops" are too sweet to the taste for my palette.

4. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yes, I would agree with wine coolers being a bit sweet. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago though because Walmart had them for a dollar each. I haven't tried it yet, it is still sitting in the fridge. Maybe I will wait for a tropical kind of day.

5. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

While they are not really wine coolers, really, I have had some of those canned margarita drinks. They're still a little too sweet for my tastes, but on a blistering hot summer day, they do hit the spot whilst sitting in the sun and reading. They come in like lime, mango, etc., so there are a number of different options.

6. cortana

cortana New Member

You're talking about the Bud Lite Watermelon-a-rita and Lime-a-rita drinks right? @Daddy-O ?

Those ARE really good on a hot summer day. I mean REALLY GOOD.

At 8% alcohol and coming in a huge can - they're well worth filling the cooler with.

If I'm paying $5 for a regular bud light, then I may as well pay $6 for the 'Rita version and get jacked up on sugar and alcohol!

7. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I love them, why not ? On a hot day on the beach there's not many better ways to go. I know they do not help a lot but they have a nice taste and I like it for a change but beer is still my number one.

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I'm not a big fan of them, if I drink wine I prefer a traditional bottle of wine to have with my meals. If I had to choose I would put beer or cider ahead of a wine cooler.

9. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I haven't enjoyed wine coolers since I was in high school. I remember my best friend would always have peach wine coolers in her room. I do not know where she got them from, but we would drink them and listen to NSync. Her choice, not mine.

10. crimsonghost747

Some of them are good but I rarely drink them. Tastes like lemonade to me... which is fine but I can just get lemonade which is maybe 10x cheaper. :D

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I was wondering whether Sangria is a wine cooler since the definition of a wine cooler is wine mixed with fruit juice. Something like that. Sangria is just wonderful type of wine and I like to make it on my own. Like a punch in a big pot :)

12. crimsonghost747

Nah I'd consider sangria to be sangria. :p or simply wine. I do agree though, it's great. I have yet to try making it myself but that sounds like a good plan!

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I wouldn't put it in the same category, sangria's are actually very good.

14. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Never tried one, actually. Does anyone know good wine coolers around Europe (Eastern)? Even if I had to ship them.

15. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Indeed, I'm pretty sure they are the ones. I'm not normally one for "sweet and fizzy", but dang, they hit the spot when the sun is beating down something fierce. :)

16. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I think the sangria they sell in stores could qualify as a wine cooler but the one you make at home is completely different, because it's got peaces of fruit in it.

Daddy-O likes this.
  17. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I definitely prefer the taste of beer over wine coolers. I'm not a big fan of wine coolers. They always taste off to me and I am not a fan of carbonation in my wine. Every once in a while I will get offered a wine cooler and I will take it without complaint, but it would never be my first choice. I would never go out of my way to drink one.

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I remember when they introduced these Wine Coolers in the 80's(Bartles & James) but they say they were made up of cheap white wine,water,and flavors like apple,citrus,and berry. I think the first homemade Wine Cooler though was white wine and 7up, they say?

19. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have had some pretty bad experiences here but I am pretty sure I was not really being the most responsible person when I was having some. They have a time and a place though.

20. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Good point. Some Sangria sold commercial are basically wine coolers. I did find a nice Sangria actually bottled in Spain that was very close to the homemade stuff. It really hit the spot on the first really hot day here. :)