Flat Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by SirJoe, Mar 26, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

There is nothing like a freshly opened beer, but when the beer has been standing to long it will go flat. Do you drink the beer when it's gone flat or do you reach out for a new one?
    For me it depends, if there is very little left I might finish it off but if it's half a bottle I will get another beer.

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

I don;t think I have ever had a beer go completely flat. I do sometimes drink half a beer, and when that happens, the unopened portion goes back in the fridge, but I think i usually finish it before it is completely flat.

3. artyarson

artyarson Member

Interesting question. No, I usually don't. I don't like the taste all. Moreover, it's no longer cool/cold. So, it's just a waste to me. Anybody feels the same?

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I never leave a beer until it's done. So it never gets flat and I usually buy 0,5 l bottles not the big ones so I just drink one at a time. Of course we are talking about glass packs. If it is in plastic I never drink it. It is flat from the start. I hate it.

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I usually just throw it out if it gets flat, but that rarely happens since I down them in one sitting. The taste just feels weird when it's flat.

6. crimsonghost747

The only time a beer goes flat is when I'm a bit drunk and forget that I had an open one somewhere. :D then the next morning you find a can with like half left... that has happened. :D

And then of course I have to pour it away. But in any other case I'll drink it before it gets flat.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Yep, that would most certainly be one of those situations. What a waste. :(
    :D

8. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Flat beer is the absolute worst and I do not like to drink it. I try not to babysit my drinks because I do not want them going flat when they are just sitting out on the table.

9. Destiny

Destiny Member

I will always fibsish off my flat ebeer. I don't like wasting anything... But especially beer! I live in Oklahoma and only drink 6 point... So on Sundays I can't even buy my beer! And, have to go to a special suite to get it! No way am I wasting that stuff! It's like gold!

10. Sue

Sue Active Member

I usually end up finishing up my flat beer before I take another one. It is usually that last drink that tastes so bad.

11. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

There is something worse, and that is flat hot beer. That can easily be one of the worst drinks out there.

12. albreeden

albreeden New Member

I don't think that I could stomach a flat beer. It's just like flat soda, yuck. The carbonation is what makes a good beer. If you're not able to finish a beer, just toss it. It's worth it to have a fresh one when you're craving another brew.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Where I'm from they came up with a solution for flat beer. They sell 20cl bottles. So the beer never has a chance to become flat.

14. kgord

kgord Active Member

I would drink a flat beer rather than waste it, however, like everyone else I prefer carbonation. Too me though the taste of the beer is what makes it good, and not necessarily the carbonation. As long as it tastes like beer, I am good.

15. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Yeah, waste not want not, but it's better not to give it time to get flat. ;)

16. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I am terrible at wasting. In situations where I forget about my beer and it becomes flat, I usually just toss the beer into the trash and grab a new beer. I don't really like the taste of flat beer and honestly, it's just not worth the energy of putting that disgusting liquid into my mouth. I don't even find the taste of flat beer appealing. For some reason, the carbonation makes everything better, ha ha.

17. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

It's hard to belive that before double fermentation all beer was drunk flat. It was only after more resistant bottles and the double fermentation process that we have the beer that we all love of today.

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

No, I do not think I would drink flat or skunky beer,and leaving beer in the light can cause this. The hops can react in a photosynthetic reaction that can change the taste,and thats why the brown bottles are the best to protect your beer. Also after 3 to 4 months after the beer was bottled,it can expire and the taste will start to decline as well.

19. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

The choice varies from person to person. I don't like it a lot in strong form and wait for a while after opening the can or the bottle. This helps to relieve the strong fizz and brings beer to a mild flat version which I prefer to drink.

20. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Now a days? No way, José. In the past, yah, I have little doubt I resorted to flat beer on occasion. ;)