A Little Twist On The Mint Julep

Discussion in 'Bourbon Forum' started by thisnthat, May 4, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Summer is coming, and with it come refreshing cold drinks. The mint julep is a good old standby. It's sometimes considered a country drink, but anyone can enjoy it. It's easy to make and tasty. It usually has bourbon, water, ice, sugar, and of course, some fresh mint.

To add a little something extra, consider adding fresh strawberries to the mix. Even as a garnish, strawberries are a nice touch. Some people like a slice of orange or kiwi as well. Mmm.

AngelaMc and FolkArtist like this.
  2. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

That sounds like a great refreshing drink for the summer season,so I may have to try one. This seems to be the official drink of the Kentucky Derby also which is quite interesting. But I always think of some kind of Gin drink in the good old summertime because its so light and blends easy with so many fresh juices as well,and some kind of peach nectar would be good to mix with your Gin.

3. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Mint Julep is right up there with sweet tea. It can be enjoyed most any time, if you live in the south, ha ha.

Oh, I like you. I'm a gin person too. Yes, fresh fruit and summertime go hand in hand. Might as well include it in your cocktails too.

FolkArtist likes this.
  4. rz3300

rz3300 Member

There is nothing wrong with a little new twist now and again. I think that it has been some time since I have had one, but the twist sounds good too.

5. Zero

Zero Member

Exactly, i feel that it makes it a bit more exciting and gives it a new interesting twist which can be intriguing.

6. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

Mint Juleps are refreshing in the summer, I always like to try little twists or change in a recipe, so I'm definitely going to try the strawberries. Mint and strawberries are a good pairing together.:p Thank you for the tip.

thisnthat likes this.
  7. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Changing things up a little keeps life interesting.

I love strawberries, so that's why this one jumped out at me. Some of the others sound pretty good too, but the strawberry and mint combination just sounds like a winner.

I hope you enjoy it.

AngelaMc likes this.