Wеddеd Wеdnеsdаy - Bееr + Fооd Pаiring Tаlk

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by AlexZ, Jun 14, 2017.

1. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

Wеddеd Wеdnеsdаy - bееr + fооd pаiring tаlk
    Shаrе yоur bееr аnd fооd pаirings, bееr аnd musiс pаirings, оr аny сulinаry аdvеnturеs yоu hаvе hаd with bееr.

2. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

If yоu hаd а сооl bееr sеnsоry еxpеriеnсе, shаrе thаt hеrе

3. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I can't think of one of my own off the top of my head, but I did hear one recently. The guy was giving a very detailed description of the Ballast Point Habanero Sculpin. He described is at hot, but not "burn your mouth" hot. More of a sensation that envelopes your mouth, throat, everything, but doesn't exactly burn.

He said the flavor was exquisite, and that it paired nicely with Mexican food. He added that rich foods like guacamole were especially good choices.

4. kgord

kgord Active Member

Beer is really good with pizza I think everyone knows that. It is also good with grilled cheese sandwiches and barbecue foods. There aren't alot of foods I wouldn't have beer with actually.

5. xyrene

xyrene Member

I really don't want beer to be taken with heavy foods like pizza, since I don't want to eat pizza while sipping on something bitter. I prefer light finger foods like junkfood and peanuts to be taken with beer.

#5 xyrene, Jun 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  6. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I think it really depends on the person. It also depends on the beer. Not all beer is bitter. You might want to try something a bit less hoppy.

The main reason I don't tend to like beer with food is because beer can be quite filling on its own. Combined with heavy food, you just feel too stuffed.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I always really liked fried shrimp and french fries with hushpuppies and coleslaw-add some cold beer in a frosty mug(the house beer) and that was my favorite. Some of these restaurants would have a all you can eat fried shrimp menu as well so they would keep bringing it to you-so it was quite a deal. They still have these places along the coast were I live-and they catch fresh shrimp for their meals-but its been awhile since I have dined along the coast.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have never really paid all that much attention to pairing the beers with food, but I can make some exceptions where there is some good red meat on the table, then a darker beer is much better, for me at least.

9. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

That sounds good, @FolkArtist. I know what I want for dinner now, ha ha. A lot of people seem to like fried food with cold beer. At least shrimp would be lighter than say meat. That could work.

Munchies go good with beer too. I could definitely see having it with fries. Spicy fries would be even better.

10. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

For me, beer when coupled with dift music and light snacks of multiple types. The best ones are masala papad and masala peanuts. Both of these snacks are economical and easily available. Moreover, they can be munched over a long period of time.

11. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

We had a party this weekend and spent the day before it smoking meat on the grill. Pork butt roasts take several hours to cook slowly to perfection. The scent alone went perfectly with a nice cold beer.

So, of course, we had to sample our work later that evening. My husband had a nice dry-hopped sour with his smoky, sweet bbq. The combination was different, but enjoyable.

12. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I agree, it makes the experience and the party more lively.

13. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Fried food and cold beer sounds like too much. It is better than warm beer I suppose, so I guess it depends what you have available.

14. jakub1

jakub1 Member

It's way better than cold beer but still not an idea meal

15. Vallante

Vallante New Member

I tend to follow wine rules when pairing beer with a meal. If the meal consists of strong flavors like beef or a spicy dish, I go with a more robust beer that can compete with that intensity. If I'm serving something light, like fish or a mild vegetable dish, I go for something lighter and fruity like a wheat beer. I find lighter flavor pairings to be more difficult with beer because even mild beer is not a subtle flavor. Complexities in the brew can clash with food pairings, even though they may be excellent when considered by themselves.

thisnthat likes this.
  16. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

That is a really good point. Some brews are quite complex, which can make pairing a bit more challenging. One aspect may sound perfect for a certain food while another part may not work equally as well.

I like wheat beer. I can imagine it with several different dishes. It's the fruitier brews that give me trouble. The fruit itself might be a good complement while the other ingredients are not, depending on the food choice.

17. iamawriter

iamawriter New Member

I just cannot sit around sipping beer but have it while I am having my lunch or dinner. I am not a regular drinker but it is part of any celebration in the household. The bar would open but for me it is either wine or beer.