What Type Of Glass?

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by SirJoe, Jul 1, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I prefer a wide glass so that it can breath, there are people that have there whiskey in a shot glass. I personally have never tried it. What type of glass do you prefer having your whiskey in?

2. crimsonghost747

Lowball glass, preferably a rectangular rather than a round one (I don't know why!) but both will do just fine.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

yes, I use the proverbial lowball glass too usually. I have lots of shot glasses around here, but I generally just use those to measure whiskey. I Don't drink out of them since I am usually adding something to my whiskey. This is one of the reasons I like to use a glass.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I like the wide glass too, especially for whisky. I've never drank whiskey in shot glasses because I feel like you're supposed to enjoy the taste of it not just dump it down your throat.

5. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Any glass that has been in a fridge. Frosty and super cold. Then I want my whiskey served dry. No ice cubes needed to water it down.

6. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Either a rocks glass or a highball. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter much. As long as that boozy goodness is delivered. :D

7. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

I like low ball glasses for whisky, too. It as strange that another person mentioned a squared off low ball glass, instead of a round one. That is my preference too! I have no idea why. I think it looks better and is easier to hold, perhaps, but I have no real reason why that is my preference either.

8. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I honestly have never thought about what type of glass to use. I didn't even know that it made a difference. Does certain glass really allow alcohol to breath? Does it effect the flavor?

I've witnessed people spinning wine in their glass, claiming to let it breath, but I've never noticed a real difference. I've always wondered if it truly did anything or if it's an old tale.

I will have to look into the different types of glass.

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Yes it does. Depending on the glass you use it will taste different. If you put your glass to the side for a while or twirl it, the whiskey will have time to breath and will taste better, you won't have that first impact of just pure alcohol and you will be able to taste the other flavors.
    Next time you have a glass of whiskey, let it rest for a while before you drink it and see if it tastes any different.

thisnthat likes this.
  10. Sue

Sue Active Member

I also prefer low ball glasses. It is a must for whiskey!

11. justintheruffian

Lowball glass for whiskey every time. I've recently been trying to match glasses with the appropriate drink, and when it comes to whiskey, you need a lowball glass.

12. Norm A

Norm A Member

This is news to me! I had no idea that the glass you use could make a difference to the taste of the whisky. You never stop learning. Wonderful. I'm going to be a lot more selective of how I drink my whisky from now on.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

It really does. Next time you have some whiskey try it out. Have whiskey in two different glasses and if you let it breath it will change taste as well.

14. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I usually drink my whiskey from a Lowball glass as well,but I am looking to go to more of a Tulip-shaped glass and they have a slightly bulbous base and are tapering in at the top. The reason for this kind of glass is to concentrate the aroma of the whiskey at your nose and this really enhances the tasting experience.
    218XJ81zZ-L__SL500_AA280_.jpg

15. tony

tony Active Member

I am fine with any available glass be it the the breath or the shot. What matters is the good time, the satisfaction I derive from that brand of whiskey.

16. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Most of the time I really do not mind, but there are times when I do like to have a nice glass to drink out of. My selection is not the greatest though, which hopefully will change.

17. clair02

clair02 Member

I'm surprised to hear that the shape of a whisky glass can make a difference to the taste. I have never been that selective about how I drink my whisky, but now that I know it makes a difference, I'm going to try and drink it from the appropriate glasses from now on.

18. Zero

Zero Member

I have never really paid attention to the shape or style of the glass since i'm more concerned about the taste and smell, but it's interesting.

19. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

A big sized elegant glass with stylish handle to hold is what I prefer. I always prefer to drink from differently styled glasses. Thry increase my pleasure associated with drinking.

20. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I don't do shots of whiskey, so no, not a shot glass. I have a couple of rocks glasses (or lowball) that I use for a variety of things.

I love glasses and collect wine and beer ones. I have a pair of lowball and a pair of highball, as needed for the occasion. I don't really have the space to expand my collection to include many other types of bar-ware.