Darker Vs Lighter?

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by kgord, Jun 19, 2017.

1. kgord

kgord Active Member

Do you prefer darker or lighter colored whiskeys? As for me, I think that darker whisky, has likely been aged longer, and I love the deeper truer flavor. Do you have a preference in terms of your whiskey? What do you like?

2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well it really just depends on my overall mood, but I do think that I have a preference for the darker stuff, if taste is the goal. If taste is not involved than I could hardly care.

3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

When it comes to this aspect (darker or lighter), I really don't like the extremes... So, I prefer something that is in the middle of both because it's more pleasant for me. ;)

4. kgord

kgord Active Member

I like dark rum, dark brown sugar, dark beer. I do also like amber beer. I think whisky is one of those things, sometimes dark is good, sometimes light sometimes middle of the road or rye, but generally I think darker is better.

5. Zero

Zero Member

It depends on my mood and the situation, but overall i prefer lighter color over the darker one, since the taste is not as strong and it's easier to drink a few glasses.

6. xyrene

xyrene Member

I also prefer clear spirits over the dark ones, just because I was used to drinking gin and gin and juice. Clear spirits are also more commonly seen in parties than the dark ones.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think amber is really good when it comes to beers and also liquors, but as I mentioned, I really do prefer darks, as I just think they have a better flavor. It is a matter of personal preference however.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I kind of think that the type of place or event that I am at makes a different. I used to not think so, but now I am getting a little curious.

9. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

They say that today's whiskeys have more sophistication about them than yesterday's -so it has more flavor. I think the barley-based whiskys(scotch)(aged in used barrels) are lighter than those that tend to be very corn-heavy which are bourbons. The dark colours of the whiskey comes from the wood inside the barrel- so the darker the whiskey the more it came in contact with the oak.

#9 FolkArtist, Jun 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  10. DavidLee

DavidLee New Member

Simply, Darker!
    I'm often on dark beer..not unless I'm tasting new-waters

11. tony

tony Active Member

When it gets to whiskey I prefer the darker colored whiskey. Somehow I look at the darker whiskey as the richer brands, which probably has more nutrients.

12. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member

I prefer darker as it has this taste that lingers in my tongue for quite a while after. Although I don't mind taking light whiskey too. I usually find myself drinking light during hot weather here. But I love drinking dark whenever the air is cold and I'm right beside my father's chimney. It's gives a good alone vibe.

DavidLee likes this.
  13. clair02

clair02 Member

I think that we've been conditioned to think that 'darker' is always better - from chocolate to whisky, and I also prefer the darker whiskies over their lighter counterparts. The taste is so much more refined, in my opinion.

14. tony

tony Active Member

Another thing with darker Whiskey they look more expensive in my view. Some of them may even have a bit of medicinal properties especially if it has any slight bitter taste.

15. DavidLee

DavidLee New Member

I can only imagine.. One kinda great way I've had fun by my whisky.. way-back.. 'by-the-chimney'

16. Zero

Zero Member

This is an interesting angle since i wasn't aware of this, i'll definitely try to add them.