Allergy To Alcohol

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by DR KOKIL AGARWAL, May 8, 2017.

1. tony

tony Active Member

My understanding of allergy to alcohol is a situation where a taste of alcohol could trigger other body discomfort that may even lead to other health issues. It may just be a drop of alcohol and not necessarily occurring due to over intake.

2. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

Losing control after drinking is not at all an allergy. It is just a symptom of overdrinking.

Though it can be way of taking it that way but I was referring to medical conditions that end up as an allergy and

3. clair02

clair02 Member

Losing control is a sign not only of over drinking but of the fact that something needs to change. I used to lose control a lot when I was younger, and I'd get into all sorts of trouble - fights, accidents and all that, but now that I'm a little older and a whole lot wiser, that never happens any more because I know when enough is enough.

4. arachnophobik

arachnophobik New Member

I've never heard or know someone who had such allergy. But I did have a friend who kept throwing up when drinking whiskey, but he can drink a lot of glasses as long as it's beer. I don't know if it makes any sense since both are alcoholic drinks, but I figured maybe there' something in whisky that's not in beers that triggers it.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  5. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

Maybe it was the alcohol content of whiskey which was difficult for his body to tolerate. If he was just fine with beer then this can be called as an allergy to whiskey.

Are the symptoms for any particular kind d of whiskey or generally to all the available brands.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I actually met someone the other day who had an allergy to something that you can find in the darker liquors but not the lighter ones, which I thought was interesting. She also said that you can barely tell though, so it made me more curious than anything.

7. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

Finally I found someone. It would have been great if we would have known the ingredient to which she was allergic. But still now we know that allergies to alcohol do exist.

Can you please elaborate the allergic symptoms she faces after consuming dark alcohol?

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I suppose anyone can be allergic to anything, in as much as the body sees it as harmful and elicits that response. That would be a tough one though, but it seems pretty rare.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Member

She actually said that she barely even notices anything, but that she was told the ingediant is also found in dark liquots, so she just avoids them, but it did not really sound like anything serious.

10. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

Thank you so much for your reply. I'm happy that the symptoms are not serious but are mild. But still, I really wish I could get to know the exact ingredient.

11. haroon rasheed

There are many people all over the world who don't like to use Alcohol in there whole life.These people are too much careful about their future.That is the biggest reason that they are too far from any kind of alcohol.

12. walter12

walter12 Member

There are people who have alcohol allergy but the percentage is small

13. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I have a close friend that can't seem to tolerate alcohol.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

Well... I think when it gets to the point of losing control, this is a classic sign that this situation needs to be revised (even if it's against its your own will).

15. dionnextherese

This is my first time to hear about an allergic reaction to alcohol. Never heard of this situation so maybe this is not true.

16. mbuzma

mbuzma Member

Damn that sucks. But at least you're not allergic to water ( no joke, that can happen too ).

17. walter12

walter12 Member

Only few people seem to suffer from this, good luck.

18. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I think others may suffer but aren't aware.

19. Zero

Zero Member

Well people should think when they get sick after drinking.

20. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix New Member

Alcohol allergy is not a real thing. It is not even a practical condition. However, having heard of water allergy myself, I am starting to question myself. I think most of us confuse alcohol side effects like puking, with allergy.