Coconut Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by thisnthat, Aug 8, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I mentioned before that I had tried a really good coconut stout and a beerfest. I've been trying to find something similar to it ever since. There was an imperial stout from Boulevard's Smokestack Series with added coconut, which was very, very good. It's not readily available though.

I tried several others,even including a coconut ale from Schafly. I just can't get a hold of anything that really fits the bill.

My most recent one was from Ballast Point, which was a coconut porter called Victory at Sea.

If you come across any that you think sound good, please let me know.

2. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I never tasted coconut beer before-but was doing some research on some of these beers and reading the taste reviews,and they do look like some interesting beers to try. A coconut beer that sounds good to try is called "Death By Coconut" and brewed by the oscar blues brewery -and keeps popping up on the internet. This beer has dark chocolate in it and is a irish porter-but it sounds a bit heavy for summer though? I would be more interested in a light ale with coconut of some kind though.
    beer_261714.jpg

3. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Yes! I definitely want to try this one. Thanks for posting it. I had forgotten the name, duh.

I don't think it's even available during the warmer months. Stout season is usually fall/winter. I think this one will be out around the same time as Breakfast Stout, if I remember correctly.

Aren't these the same guys that make Ten Fidy?

4. rz3300

rz3300 Member

This sounds awful, but this is also coming from someone who really does not like coconut anything. Even then though, it sounds like too much.

5. xyrene

xyrene Member

I like drinking coconut water, it actually has no taste, so if you combine it with beer then it won't really alter it's taste, it will just be a "healthier" drink.

6. Zero

Zero Member

I agree with on this, the flavor is no where near strong enough to improve the taste.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

yeah, its the same company(oskar blues)in colorado although they may brew it in other states as well. This is a very loaded flavors kind of beer-with chocolate covered caramel and coffee which sounds quite tasty and fun. Its looks like it has a high alcohol content(10.5%)and its very dark as well-and would be a great beer for winter.
    17881318_1911478395762244_2571647956658683904_n.jpg

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I personally don't like the taste, but many of my friends think coconut beer is the second coming of Christ. It's way too sweet for my tastes.

9. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

It depends on the quality of the beer. The flavor should be subtle, not overpowering.

Yes, that's the one. Some say it pours like motor oil, ha ha. I didn't think it was quite that bad (we tried some last winter). My husband liked it a lot. I also tried the coffee stout, which tasted like a cup of coffee, and may have been just a bit over the top compared to the Ten Fidy.

I don't like the super sweet ones either, but the subtle ones are rich and delicious. I never thought I'd like it either.

10. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I feel that Coconut overall makes everything very sweet and not to my liking.

11. xyrene

xyrene Member

Coconut water is also quite cheap and a more healthier option too, rather than beer. It costs only around 50 cents per fruit.

And no, for those that say coconut water is sweet, coconut water is actually tasteless.

12. Meeseeks

Meeseeks New Member

I'm just here looking for a recipe that's lighter than a stout but also has coconut in it, that sounds delicious.

13. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I like the richness of a good stout. Some of them can be a bit heavy thought, so I hear you.

I think coconut beer is delicious. Some are better than others. I'm really looking forward to the release of the one mentioned above next month - Death by Coconut.

I've tried a couple others since this, but none that really blew me away. The one by Evil Twin is okay.

14. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

Coconut beer is something totally new to me. I honestly had never talked about it before reading this topic, but it seems to me to be something very interesting. :)

15. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have historically been opposed to coconut flavored anything so I am not sure that would change here. I subscribe more to the just give me the original taste.

16. Athanas

Athanas Member

I am not used to coconut beers but until early this year, when I tasted the Victory at sea toasted coconut . It has a distinct coconut taste . I think I have to try and taste the other brands.

17. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I haven't been able to track down the Oskar Blues. I'm sad. I hope I can still catch some before it's all gone.

I love stout season, but seasonal beers can be a bit frustrating. Of course, I'm in a fairly rural area, so it's not the best location for accessibility.

18. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

I have never tasted coconut beer till now. I'm a bit stringent when it comes to trying new tastes. Do you all think that the flavor is worth giving a try?

19. mbuzma

mbuzma Member

I didn't even know such a thing existed ! Will have to try it for sure now.

20. Rexy

Rexy New Member

In my opinion, coconut beer is disgusting, I can't drink it. Beer itself is amazing, but if you add coconut to it it just smells and tastes disgusting. I tried it once at a party, couldn't even drink half a bottle.

mbuzma likes this.