Cigar Cutter Or Cigar Punch Which Do You Prefer?

Discussion in 'Cigar Forum' started by AngelaMc, Mar 16, 2017.

1. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

:)Whether you are new to Cigar smoking or you have been smoking Cigars for quite sometime now, the same question may arise, which is, should you cut your Cigars or use the Cigar Punch. Really I don't believe there is a correct answer to this question, it's personal opinion and preference I think.

The Cigar Punch is a great tool to use if you don't want a lot tobacco left in your mouth, it punches a small hole in the cap of your Cigar so it can be smoked. A lot of people say the draw is too tight with this method though. The Cigar Cutter on the other hand acts like a guillotine and cuts the Cigars cap end off, allowing air to pass through for a better draw. Using the Cutter you have to be careful not to cut too much off it usually makes the Cigar bitter and overheat. So with this being said which do you prefer? The Cutter or the Punch?:)

2. sommax

sommax Member

It's a matter of preference. For me, I did prefer to cut. I like the easier draw and it also gives me the full flavor of the stick.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I don't mind either one, depends on what I have available at the moment. The cigar punch tool is convenient but cutting them yourself is not a big deal at all.

4. kgord

kgord Active Member

I never even heard of a cigar punch. When I buy cigars they are just the pre made cigars that are available in the stores anyway. I think they are just fine like that. I wouldn't know what to do with a cigar punch.

5. Vallante

Vallante New Member

I prefer a wide cut because I find I can more easily control the temperature of my burn with proper air flow. Tobacco tastes like garbage when it burns too hot, and when you have to relight it. Having full control of your smoke is important, then, to get the most out of your stick. That said, I hate cheap cutters. It is of prime importance to not be cheap with it and get an extra sharp implement. Too many of these cheap snippers don't actually cut, they crush. This leaves you with a busted wrapper and a mouth full of leaves.

6. Zero

Zero Member

I agree, a wide cut is more convenient and in my opinion it makes the experience better.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I could not really tell you any science behind it, but the wide cut does make sense when you think of control. I am pretty sure my experience also backs that up, too.

8. xyrene

xyrene Member

This info is quite new to me. I think I would base my decision on what I will try based on the majority of the suggestions here.