Ever Thought About Brewing Your Own Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by clair02, Jun 21, 2017.

1. clair02

clair02 Member

I came across a site some time back on how to home-brew your own beer. At the time I didn't give it much thought, but it just occurred to me that if I learned how to brew my own beer at home, I might save a whole lot of money. What do you think?

2. FergusMacLeod

FergusMacLeod Member

It's a nice thing to do if you enjoy beer yourself, it might pay off to you. Personally, I don't like beer that much, but if I decided to brew my own beer, I would most likely brew it for selling. People like beer a lot and I think that it would be a good business if the beer is good of course.

3. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

Its interesting because Jimmy Carter was involved and created an exemption(1978) from taxation of beer and then you and your family could then make beer in the comfort of your own home and this was after 50 years of laws, leftover from prohibition. This legalization though started people towards the craft beer movement we have today.

4. xyrene

xyrene Member

I also don't like beer that much, so I'd rather not do it. Besides, beer is pretty cheap already, like less than $1 for a bottle, so why make all that effort for something that you could get for a very cheap price, right?

5. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I'd be more interested in trying home brewing for the creative aspects of it. It would be fun to experiment with different styles and flavors.

You might eventually save some money. I don't think you would at first though. It would require a bit of an investment to get started. You'd need equipment, ingredients, and a good, clean, space to start out.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have thought about it plenty of times but never actually to the point of maybe actually doing it. It would be interesting though, and it would probably taste much better.

7. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I wouldn't i have thought about it, but the idea came across.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I know my husband would enjoy it. He talks about home brewing from time to time.

It would be fun tasting and finding out anyway. I'd love to at least get one of those home brew kits and give it a try. Maybe nothing too fancy or long term, but at least check out the experience, you know?

Between my husband and I, I think we could at least come up with something that the two of us would like (even if it didn't really impress anyone else, ha ha).

9. walter12

walter12 Member

I have had the idea ring in my mind several times but i would hope one of my friends helps me.

10. tony

tony Active Member

I haven't thought about brewing my own beer, I am of the thinking it would require complex processes. Anyway if I can grasp the basis for brewing or making home beer that'd be a plus.

11. Meeseeks

Meeseeks New Member

No. Why make some if you can buy in convenience? That's just a lot of work and I'm too lazy for that so no.

12. Zero

Zero Member

I agree it's definitely a lot of work but the experience can be worth it.

13. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I would love to brew beer but with my tight schedule I don't think I would have a lot of time to use the equipment. It's a lot easier for me to buy beer from the store.

14. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

It's definitely easier and more convenient to just go buy some beer, but what's the fun in that?

I guess it's my creative side, wanting to dabble in home brews along side other stuff I like to make. Just what I need is another hobby.

I have a feeling my husband would kind of take over anyway. Craft beer is "his thing" (or so he thinks). :p

15. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I agree it takes time and dedication to pull it off.

16. sommax

sommax Member

Funny.

I think I have to meet your husband. We may have been brothers in the past.

17. Athanas

Athanas Member

I buy beer because I don't know how to make mine. If I had the expertise, I would prepare some. I know it would be very cheap as compared to commercial ones.

18. walter12

walter12 Member

Beer is the easiest to make out of the drinks.

19. Rexy

Rexy New Member

Not really. It's kind of risky because if you mess it up you might get blind or something. I think it's actually illegal in fact?

20. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I think it's only illegal if you profit from it.