Root Beer

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by overcast, Sep 21, 2017.

1. overcast

overcast Member

I am starting to think that there does seem to be plenty of options out there for root beer. I am not attached to any specific brand. But based on your experience. What would be the good brand? And which brand you'd go for in that case?

2. Meeseeks

Meeseeks New Member

My friends and I recently did a series of blind tastings and our ratings were as follows:
    1) Zuberfizz 2) Thomas Kemper 3) Virgil's 4) Maine Root Beer 6) IBC 7) Henry Weinhard 8) Stewarts 9) Tommyknocker

3. overcast

overcast Member

Some new brands for me. Like IBC and Virgil's. It seems like you guys did some good work filtering these brands out. I'd have to try them myself now. Looks like some interesting brands to check out.

4. xyrene

xyrene Member

I buy Mug rootbeer most of the time, but there are other cheaper brands too like Arcie and Zesto.

5. overcast

overcast Member

I heard about Arcie and Zesto though not yet tasted them. It'd be interesting to try them out. I guess for change during weekend or so. It can be interesting as well.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Not the biggest fan of root beer. The only brand I tried is Thomas Kemper and it tasted pretty decent, so I would definitely give that a shot.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

Actually one of the oldest fast food chains in america -A&W Root Beer has been around forever. This chain started in 1919 and they served hamburgers and Root Beer at a Drive-In. I remember as a kid getting a really cold & frosted mug of Root Beer at these places back in the day -and I can still remember how tasty and delicious it was. The old ones still exist but I have seen the new ones also combined with like a KFC.

30323593_0aad65063e.jpg

8. xyrene

xyrene Member

@overcast, Arcie and Zesto are a bit cheaper than Mug, and all 3 taste ok, but Zesto tastes less sweeter than the other 2.

9. overcast

overcast Member

A&W is not even worth mentioning. It's too common. So I don't think it counts much but yeah it is one of the oldest so many people have tried it. Not much fan of sweetness though. Kind of needs punch in it.

10. xyrene

xyrene Member

A&W seems to have stopped operating in our area a long time ago. Their rootbeer float is ok, I always ordered that when I used to eat there.

11. overcast

overcast Member

I think in some states you can't have the Arcie and Zesto either. It's basically demand and supply. Some things harder to adjust with beer sellers these days. If they don't see the demand they don't keep the stock.

12. xyrene

xyrene Member

I think you're getting things confused, we're not talking about beer here, but rootbeer. And those are local brands of rootbeer, so it's possible that it's exported there.

13. overcast

overcast Member

We have limited brands here in our town for both beer and the root beer. I'd say that supply demand plays role here. I don't know if city regions get the most variety compared to small towns like my place.

14. xyrene

xyrene Member

I think the city has majority of the imported products in general because it's the "commercial area" as compared to the country.