Whisky Or Whiskey?

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by Summertime, Jan 25, 2016.

1. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

I always knew that whisky was pronounced and called as Whisky and not Whiskey...But there are some areas where it is spelled as Whiskey

2. tony

tony Active Member

From the two spellings Whiskey or Whisky I am thinking the easier word which is W-h-i-s-k-y will likely be how America spell it. The other spelling W-h-i-s-k-e-y may just be how the UK put theirs

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  3. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

I think the difference is just grammatically.

Despite the ronunciations of the words are extremely similar, either way if you say "Whiskey" or "Whiskey" people will definitely understand what you want to drink. :D

"Whiskey
    " or "Whiskey" may also be only a geographical issue.

4. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

Thanks for the differentiation. UK and American English vary a lot , both in pronunciation and spelling and whisky can be one of the variant.

5. Zero

Zero Member

Yeah, it's one of those things that makes the English language interesting is that every region can spell or pronounce the same differently.

6. kgord

kgord Active Member

I have seen it spelled both ways even on here, and both seem to be correct or acceptable. I guess that is just the nature of the beast. I don't think either is right or wrong.

7. derf

derf New Member

It really depends on where you come from such as in Europe they spell it whisky while in america they spell it whiskey. This could be because of different cultures using spelling for languages. Another could possibly be because of words being spelled in different languages people are used it to being spelled that way.

8. Zero

Zero Member

Exactly, i feel that both of them seem the same and there doesn't seem to be any really difference.

9. clair02

clair02 Member

I also grew up believing that both of the words are correct. Personally I use 'whisky' but I don't think there has ever been a problem when using either word because it's very clear what you mean whether you write it as 'whisky' or 'whiskey'.

10. Zero

Zero Member

Yeah, it depends on the region as well the country, i assume Americans call it Whisky while British call it Whiskey.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  11. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

Yes you are right. It is just the difference between American and British English. Here in my country we follow American English and so spell it as Whisky.

12. haroon rasheed

I am not sure about the difference between whisky and whiskey.I have read it whisky at in many articles and forums.I have spelled it whisky many times but never tried to type it whiskey.I have never seen it whiskey at any articles or at any other places.I will do research between the difference of these two words.

13. walter12

walter12 Member

There are a few differences but not that many.

14. xyrene

xyrene Member

The spelling doesn't matter at all to me, so it's all good. What matters to me is the taste and price!

15. Rexy

Rexy New Member

Whiskey is UK
    Whisky is US

However, you can use both. There's no set rule to what's correct.

16. Athanas

Athanas Member

Both are correct,depending on which part of the earth someone resides. But the spelling doesn't really matter, what matters is the ability to make someone drunk.

17. Rexy

Rexy New Member

Haha, yeah. That's true. and the ability to make someone drunk as well ;)

18. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well that is true, who cares as long as it tastes good and does the trick. I would proably pause a little bit if I saw it without the "e".

19. dionnextherese

The spelling of whiskey or whisky, is not actually a big deal to me. But according to google, Irish immigration to America in the 18th century means that we also refer to American 'whiskey' spelled with an e. As long as they have the same meaning, I'll spell them to whatever way I want it to be.