Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by thisnthat, Sep 5, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

We stopped by the liquor store before the long weekend. We were happy to see some new craft beers in stock, including the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest. I decided to give it a try. I'm glad I did. While it's not always my favorite style, there are a couple of good examples of it. I did enjoy this one.

Have you tried it?

2. Vallante

Vallante New Member

Each year they pair with a different company to reproduce classic German styled beers for their Oktoberfest line. I haven't tried this year's offering yet but they have had a long running tradition of success with this program. Some of their best beers have been put out in the Oktoberfest line and I wish they'd keep them in rotation!

thisnthat likes this.
  3. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Interesting. I wasn't aware of the history (although my husband probably knows this). Do give it a try if you have the opportunity.

Oh, I hear you on that. There have been some very enjoyable series of brews that I would love to be able to get my hands on again. Sadly, it's difficult if not impossible (unless you find some collecting dust in an obscure liquor store somewhere that doesn't know what they've got, ha ha -and the aging has spoiled the experience of that particular brew).

I even get a little antsy over seasonal beers. I can't buy enough to keep me in stock until they come out again!

4. Meeseeks

Meeseeks New Member

It's seasonal and super annoying they do this. Breweries seem to be neurotic about having seasonal beer 2 weeks after the appropriate theme, so instead they just keep releasing it earlier and earlier. Working on the purchasing side for a retail grocer I find it hard to make programming relevant and also highlight "brand new".

5. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Oh man, I can see how it would be really frustrating if you're the one doing the ordering and promotion and stuff. It's aggravating enough for me trying to locate and acquire some of these seasonal brews before they're gone.

Not to mention, when you find one you really like and you can't get any more for a year. My husband likes it, because he doesn't get "stuck" on a beer like I do. He just keeps trying new things.

6. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I have not tried this one but everything in my past tells me I would like it. I love this time of the year and Sierra Nevada has never let me down before.

7. Zero

Zero Member

I don't have any experience with this as well.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I like the style okay. Some are better than others. I found this one to be rather good. Last year, I liked the Urban Chestnut one. I've yet to try any others yet this year.

Sierra Nevada is known for it's Pale Ale, I believe. The Oktoberfest is a good offering as well.

It seems like a lot of brands make a number of good brews but are known especially for one type in particular.

9. xyrene

xyrene Member

Well I also haven't tried it yet, but I intend to do so when I have the chance, since you posted a good review.

10. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

oktoberfest2017bottlepint.png No, I never got a chance to try this beer-Sierra Nevada Octoberfest, but I did try some Blue Moon Belgian White beer,while on vacation-and it was quite good I must say. I think every year around October, Sierra Nevada collaborates with different breweries around the globe to come up with some great pumpkin or harvest like beers though. I wonder if they still have some of this Octoberfest beer on the shelves, sitting around though-you could wander on to somewhere.

11. jakub1

jakub1 Member

Thank you for the detailed description, i'll give it a try.