Whiskey Budget

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by kgord, Jan 28, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Active Member

Do you have a budget specifically for whiskey? I am just wondering as the costs of some of the name brand whiskey's can be quite high. If I made it a practice to buy whiskey every few weeks, I know I would have to write that into a household budget. It might be a good thing to do if you are a fan.

2. crimsonghost747

I have thought about this, not just for whiskey but for alcohol in general. And for the moment the answer is no. I buy whiskey when I need to, the idea is to have a couple different ones at home.

If one day I have enough space so I can start a proper wine collection then I guess I will make a monthly budget and use it for both my wine as well as whiskey collection.

3. Sue

Sue Active Member

I usually have to budget our drinking money into our monthly budget. We like to have a few drinks on the weekend so we make sure that there is always money set aside for that. We try to pick up extra when we have the money to do so or pick up a few bottles when they have sales on. We tend to drink more during our summer camping season so we try to pick up extra through the off months so it is not quite so expensive to buy it all in the summer.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I don't have a budget, but I remind myself to not go overboard with how much I'm buying since I don't want to be an alcoholic. Having a drink from time to time is better than being drunk everyday. :p

Sue likes this.
  5. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

Yeah, I can't spend too much money on it. So I usually save my money to buy the best bottles and then I'll buy another when I'm done.

6. Sue

Sue Active Member

Yes I have to agree with you on that one. I know people who drink and get drunk everyday and I don't get it. It is much more enjoyable when you drink once in a while.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I don't really make a budget for drinking. I'm more of a spur of the moment type of guy. If I feel like buying a bottle of scotch I will buy it.

Sue likes this.
  8. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I really buy whiskey every now and then, and I tend to go with the budget whiskeys when I do buy it. I would say go with a bottle of Evan Williams and drop a few ice cubes in there. This Whiskey has a vanilla,caramel,and oak flavor profile and is really quite drinkable without adding to much or anything to it as far as that goes.

9. clair02

clair02 Member

I've never actually had to budget for my drinks but I think that is a good idea if you know you like to drink on a regular basis and you don't want to be short of money when the time comes. It's a smart move to put aside the money so you don't have to miss out on having fun.

10. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

I don't like to overspend in whiskey at all. For me everything should be done within limits. Crossing the line will only cause problems and nothing else.

11. xyrene

xyrene Member

I'm not a heavy drinker, so I really don't keep in mind to allot a set budget for whisky, especially since it's quite expensive. If ever I buy one when I feel like it, then my budget would be around $10 to $20.

12. rz3300

rz3300 Member

This makes me want to travel back a couple of years and see how much I was spending on these things back then. I have cut back and I am betting I would be a little surprised.

13. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

I don't have a fixed amount for this. what I end up prioritizing are the special occasions on which this type of drink should be consumed. After all, it's not like drinking a beer, haha. :p

14. walter12

walter12 Member

I don't really have a budget, i just buy it when in need.

15. jakub1

jakub1 Member

I don't really see the point of having a budget unless you consume a lot.

16. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

Hahaha... I agree every occasion deserves a different level of expenditure. Moreover ut is the status of the pocket that acts as an evergreen deciding factor.

17. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

Our pocket - most of the time - ends up being the "boss" who gives the last word, haha! It it says no, it's not and that's it. :p

18. Athanas

Athanas Member

I normally put aside some little money to spend on the whiskey. I plan for it before I go out buying. This practice is important since I cam manage my money and avoid spending a lot on whiskey at the expense of other essential items.

19. walter12

walter12 Member

Well we should all listen to our pockets once in a while.

20. mbuzma

mbuzma Member

It depends. Sometimes I just want a good drink and then I'm prepared to pay almost anything for it.