It's Stout Season, Yay!

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by thisnthat, Nov 9, 2017.

1. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Man, do I love stout season. So many great brews, so little time.

I managed to get my hands on my all time favorite, Founder's Breakfast Stout. I'm hoping to try the CBS this year as well (KBS rocks).

I've come across some other really good specimens as well. Bell's Expedition Stout was a nice surprise. I didn't think we'd have access, but there it was. It's a bit pricier than some but worth it for the experience (not something I'd buy all the time, and you can't anyway, so yeah).

Have you tried any different stouts this year?

2. walter12

walter12 Member

Unfortunately i haven't really tried any stouts lately, i might do later.

3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well yes it is, and the thirty degree weather is re-enforcing that idea. They do taste a lot better when it is bitter cold out, so that is exciting.

4. xyrene

xyrene Member

I also haven't tried any stouts until now. They don't seem to be popular over here.

5. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Ha, it's not that cold here yet, but I hear ya. A rich, hearty, stout goes down nicely when the temp goes down as well.

Oh, I'm sad for you. There are so many great beers out right now, with more to come. Let me guess, IPA is what everyone likes?

6. xyrene

xyrene Member

@thisnthat, What is IPA? India Pale Ale? I actually haven't tried one before. Is it good?

7. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Yeah, India Pale Ale, which seems to be the most popular style from what I can tell. Everyone seems to rave about them, but I'm not the biggest fan. If you like some bitterness, you might like it. I compare it to grapefruit.

I don't mind one sometimes in hot weather, but it's not my favorite thing to drink.

I much prefer stouts and would happily drink them year 'round, although a nice, refreshing Kolsch works on a hot day.

8. xyrene

xyrene Member

@thisnthat, You seem to have tasted a lot of stouts already. I would love to try one when I have the chance.

9. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

It's been kind of a hobby for me and my husband over the past few years. We've been learning about (and tasting) different brews (brands and styles).

It's really quite interesting as well as being enjoyable. I hope I don't come off as a lush though. We aren't just sitting around drinking tons of beer all the time. We just like to check out a variety.

Sometimes, we just split one to taste it or whatever. We aren't drunks, lol.

10. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Sounds like a better hobby than what I have. It probably means you can find the ones that you really enjoy too, which I cannot say comes easily for me.

11. xyrene

xyrene Member

@thisnthat, Well that's a nice hobby, although it can become expensive if you were to try all the liquor brands.

12. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

We each have our own hobbies too. This is something interesting that we can to do together. I love meeting other people who are into it as well. We learn a lot from them.

Some of there are really hard to get, so we've missed out on a lot. Still, we've managed to try a nice variety over time.

You got that right. It can be very expensive if you're not careful.

13. xyrene

xyrene Member

@thisnthat, So true, that's why better buy beer instead if you were to indulge in such a hobby, since a bottle only costs less than $1.

14. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Well, it really depends on the type of beer you buy. There are some super expensive ones out there. I remember one last year that cost $40 per 4 pack. That's $10.00 a bottle (I didn't buy any!). Some cost more than that.

I think those are the types best shared or traded. If other people want to go in on a pack to try it, maybe. Otherwise, that's way too rich for my blood.

15. kgord

kgord Active Member

I haven't had any lately but they are some really good beers. I will have to look for some the next time I am out. I am looking for a good dark beer and these might just fit the bill!!

16. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I have not tried any stouts lately but they are rather strong as far as the ABV goes-like 7 or 8% alcohol sometimes,and others around 5%-but I would have to say that Guinness would be my favorite stout so far. I think I may get some Guinness though-since my birthday is coming up and celebrate. I also might consider some other Irish Dry Stouts- like Murphy's and Beamish as well.

17. tony

tony Active Member

Stout happen to be one of my best drinks. In my calculation It's rich and could contains some medicinal properties. I am more particular about Guinness stout

18. jakub1

jakub1 Member

It's really exciting!!!