Thinking Of Getting Into Bourbon, Any Tips?

Discussion in 'Bourbon Forum' started by akjangra, Jan 15, 2018.

1. akjangra

akjangra New Member

Until now, I've only been into beer and wine. I'm thinking of exploring more variety, and I've decided to start with bourbon! One question I'd like to ask is: how is a bourbon generally different from other drinks? It's not very common where I live.
    Also, some brand suggestions would be welcomed too!

2. rz3300

rz3300 Member

This is one where you probably want to heir on the side of caution if you are looking to any cheaper brands. I can usually do cheaper clear liquor but when it is darker, and for some reason bourbon is standing out here, bad things tend to happen.

3. walter12

walter12 Member

Well give it a try.

4. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I would say bourbon is a very sweet kind of whiskey because corn is a sweet grain and it must be made of 51% corn,and the remainder being made up of rye,wheat,or malted barley-singly or in combination. Also bourbon to be called bourbon, must be made in the US. You could try some of the budget bourbons to start out with though-and some of these bourbons are Evan Williams,Wild Turkey,Old Grand-Dad,Old Forester,and Four Roses Yellow Label.

5. mbuzma

mbuzma Member

I don't really like Bourbon. Firstly, it smells horrible. Secondly, I can taste the corn it was made of ( and I'm no fan of corn, especially since it apparently goes into anything these days ).

6. pmk1990

pmk1990 New Member

If you want to start doing Bourbon I would suggest you go with Buffalo Trace Kentucky Straight Bourbon. It's a solid and an affordable choice for a novice bourbonite.

7. xyrene

xyrene Member

I agree, you have to taste it yourself to see how it exactly tastes and if you like how it tastes.

8. clair02

clair02 Member

Taste is where it all begins. No one can possibly tell you enough about a drink to make you appreciate it without tasting it for yourself. Do that, and you'll know if it's something you want to pursue or not.

9. wilkinshppd

wilkinshppd New Member

I have just gotten in to bourbon and whiskey about 4 months ago. As stated earlier Buffalo Trace is a good start if you can find it. I started on it and became very fond of it. I have since grown to love many bourbons. I have found that I like more rye than not. So just start getting you a few bottles and see what you like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. walter12

walter12 Member

I haven't tried it as much as i would like as well