Whisky Tasting

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by Drukenduty, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Drukenduty

Drukenduty New Member

I can't wait to get to do this!
    Sadly, it's a rich man game since you'll need several whiskys to make the best of the experience...

You'll also need:

Tulip-shaped glasses (they work best for aroma sampling)
    Room-temperature water (some say that you're supposed to add water before smelling, others before drinking)
    Unsalted crackers (to reset the palate once you move on to a different whisky)

I don't think I'll get too much excited by looking at a whisky's color...
    But apparently light in colour = light in flavour. I didn't knew that.
    Also, the older the whisky, the darker it will be. I didn't knew that either.
    Water seems to produce some kind of chemical reaction that releases flavour and smell...

Has anyone done this?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I never found the appeal in this, but I wouldn't say no if I had the chance to taste some good whisky. I actually didn't know about the color and flavor "relationships", haha.

3. Sue

Sue Active Member

I knew about color and flavoured. I have tried a similar experiment years ago and it was quite enjoyable. Got way too drunk though so it was most difficult to really get the taste of the latter few. I would do it again though if the chance ever came up.

4. kgord

kgord Active Member

I would rather do this for a liquor company and have them pay me to taste various whiskeys. OF course this means, I would probably need a designated driver on the way back home though. This is just the truth. It is one of the things that I would need.and everyone who does this should have!

Sue likes this.
  5. Sue

Sue Active Member

Taxi fare would have to be included with that type of job. You would be pretty hammered everyday. lol It would make work much more fun to go to though. :)

6. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

When tasting whiskey aren't you supposed to spit it out, like in wine?
    I would still swallow one or two, errr... accidentally ;)

7. crimsonghost747

I've never done a proper wine or whiskey tasting, mainly because the whole thing seems too... posh for me. I don't care for any of that fancy stuff... group of well dressed people in a well lit room with white tablecloths sitting in a chair and tasting tiny sips from different bottles and then talking half an hour about what it tastes like.

I do this tasting stuff with friends. Good friends, good music, someone's livingroom. And we, for sure, will never spit it out no matter what it is. :D Ohh and you have to taste at least a couple of glasses to be sure ;)

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That is the best way to do it. :)
    I couldn't think of a better way to taste wine or whiskey. The other way seems a bit to clinical as if there is an impending doom if you don't get it right.

9. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I have been invited to tastings by Dewars before and I loved it. They give you some light snacks, free flasks, tastings that are way more than you even want to drink. All for free and it was fun and informative.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Sounds like fun, I'm sure that there must have been some people walking out of there seeing double.;)

11. Destiny

Destiny Member

Wow! That's really neat. I've been to a wine tasting before but that's it. A whiskey tasting sounds pretty fun!

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I think it would be great to go on a free tour and tasting- I think the tulip shaped glasses would really bring out the taste of the whiskey. The swirling of the whiskey in your glass and sniffing of this drink, adds to the enjoyment of whiskey overall-and it's good to try to enjoy the colour of the whiskey as well. The darker colour of the whiskey means it has been aged longer-and a whiskey tasting would be fun to do!

13. overcast

overcast Member

I know a town where they do this every year before spring. And they seem to be a good folks. And we get to taste a lot of wines. It's fun that way. You can see that some of the wines are worth checking out.

14. mbuzma

mbuzma Member

Never did this. But if it's a rich man's game I'm out immediately.

15. Athanas

Athanas Member

Many companies have tried to make their whiskey have some great tastes. But there are still a few comanies out there that still produce very bitter stuff, more bitter than herbs. You have to mix the whiskey with soft drinks for you to drink.

16. pmk1990

pmk1990 New Member

I would love to do whiskey tasting, but I barely afford few bottles of whiskey so unless someone's buying, that's a rich man's game.

17. overcast

overcast Member

I remember last month there was one winery opening beer tasting. And it was a good function. Some of the good products being sold. And lot f variety there. It felt good for sure.

18. xyrene

xyrene Member

Nah, I haven't done that kind of thing yet, I'm not that much of a whisky fan.

19. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin New Member

Yeah. Exactly.

20. rz3300

rz3300 Member

The more I think about it the more it actually seems like a bit of a challenge, depending on how many different ones you are tasting. You might have to pace yourself in order to keep a clean taste but I am not sure.