Blended Whiskey

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by kgord, Apr 14, 2016.

1. kgord

kgord Active Member

I have this Kentucky blended whisky right now, which was some kind of moderately priced whiskey at my state store. But what is it? Is it something like hotdogs where a bunch of odds and ends are thrown in it? I mean it tastes fine, but the whole thing is making me wonder. Does anyone know anything about blended whisky?

2. Destiny

Destiny Member

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yeah, I figured it was something like that. It is pretty good, but a purist probably would not like it. Thanks for your research. I am not really sure if I would get it again.

4. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

Does it taste any good or does it just taste like a complete mish mash of other drinks together? I have never seen a blended whisky at my local shops.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Most whiskeys are blended, how good the whiskey is depends on how good is the blending master is. All the bottles have to taste the same every time.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I'm gonna ask the important question here: Is it good? :D I've never had blended whiskey before, curiosu if it's any good.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Most if not all whiskeys are blended . There are actually blend masters keep the whiskey tasting the same bottle after bottle.

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Huh, that's pretty interesting, I've been drinking whisky for the better part of my life but I've never been too curious to get into the details. It's delicious either way!

SirJoe likes this.
  9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Here is a video of Ballantine's master blender, but still I think that's it's still better drinking it then listening about it ;)

FuZyOn likes this.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Thanks for the share, it was a fun watch!

11. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I'm not familiar with blended whisky. If it is a few whiskys blended together, I don't think it would be too bad. So long as the whiskys used had a similar flavor profile, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't know if I'd go for the cheaper blended whisky. The cheaper the whisky, the worse the flavor, or at least that's how it usually goes. I'll have to try the blend for myself in order to really see if I enjoy it. :)

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

The single-malt whisky means its made from malted barley,but the single refers to,not of a single batch or barrel,but a single distillery. So a single-malt is made up of whiskies from maybe several barrels, at lets say the Glenfiddich distillery,and all the barrels come from Glenfiddich and not any other distilleries.

13. Writeratyourservice

Writeratyourservice New Member

I guess it is a bad idea.