Beer Bellies

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by artyarson, Mar 5, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

It's an old vintage song it has had so many takes done on it but this is the original.

2. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

Unfortunately, beer doesn't usually give you a whole lot of energy to do things, so it's easy to see why drinking a bunch of empty calories and sitting around isn't the best thing for your waistline. However, I know some drinkers that don't have a gut, but they workout quite a bit when they're not drinking.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yeah, the bad thing about beer is that it is high in carbs, and doesn't have a lot of the health benefits that a red wine has. Since Red wine contains resveratrol, it can be quite helpful really. I read somewhere that having a glass of red everyday is the same as a workout. Hard to believe...but supposedly true.

4. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

There are health benefits associated to beer as well. It's not only wine that is good for you.
    http://www.menshealth.com/health/have-a-beer/slide/5

5. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

I don't have a gut. I try to do my best not to reach that stage so I exercise quite a bit and eat lots of fruit in place of some meals. I drink beer but not in huge quantities. I would say I am a moderate drinker.

6. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I think if you have a predisposition to develop a beer gut you might be able to put it off for a while but it will eventually develop. Most people that I know that have a beer gut don't even drink that much beer.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think beer is probably OK in moderation, and may have some health benefits, but wine is better. I think people first got interested in the health benefits of wine, because even though the French smoke alot they had fewer heart attacks. Most are not overweight and they do drink probably more than their fair share of red wine.

8. justintheruffian

I have a small gut, and I'm not sure if it's from all the fast food or the beer. I assume it's the former, especially since I haven't been drinking as much beer lately. Losing weight is kind of tough when you like to drink because that's often a big culprit. There are so many more calories than you could ever believe. If I want to drink but I'm drinking to lose wait, I'll drink Michelob Ultra. It's not the best beer, but it's "better" for you.

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

More often then not it's not just the beer that causes the beer gut but it's the sort of food that beer likes to keep company. More often then not it's fatty food.

10. Norm A

Norm A Member

I think drinking and diet are both responsible for that roll of fat around the stomach. It's super hard to get rid of, I've tried. I've made peace with the fact that given a choice, I'd rather carry that tyre around my stomach than give up the things that I love to eat and drink...

Sue likes this.
  11. Sue

Sue Active Member

My sister is a beer drinker yet she is very thin. She also watches what she eats so the beer hasn't given her a beer belly even though she drinks it pretty much every day.

12. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

It's not always beer, but to many calories that can turn your waistline into a big belly that hangs over your pants. This can be caused from alcohol, sugary beverages, or to many portions of food.

13. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin New Member

Interesting.

14. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin New Member

Great!