Which Beer Do You Prefer - Ale Or Lager?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by Paran Kapur, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Paran Kapur

Paran Kapur New Member

I like Abbey Ales and Pale Ales. Ales are often much darker than lagers. They range from rich gold to reddish amber. These beers have a distinctive fruitfulness because of top fermenting and more hops in the wort. I feel it has a very pleasantly bitter seasoning with regulated acidity. Ales have a more assertive and individual personality. (Highland Black Mocha Stout)

Alcoholic strength of both are the same. Lagers range from sweet to bitter and pale to black. They have high carbonation and a medium to strong hop flavor. Lagers are the world's most popular beer. They are crisp and refreshing and have a smooth finish as they are aged longer. (Pilsner)

2. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I would say if you put either down in front of me,I would drink up-and both are very good choices for types of beer. I find a lot of the pale ales go with food pretty good,and a good example is of course Sierra Nevada Pale Ale- there are a lot of other ones as well. I use to like Killian's Irish Red Ale(they say its not a real irish red ale though) a lot back in college in the early 80s(on tap)but I have not had it in quite awhile. Anybody have Murphy's Irish Red Ale-this looks very good and authentic?

#2 FolkArtist, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  3. rz3300

rz3300 Member

This just depends on how I am feeling, and also a lot on the weather I would think. I tend to like the darker beers when it is nice and cold outside.

4. xyrene

xyrene Member

I also don't have a definite preference, I just consume what is available in the stores.

5. sommax

sommax Member

I don't have any preference. I did take any one available in a pub, or the one that is much cheaper.

6. Vallante

Vallante New Member

I am a traditional wheat beer enthusiast, so ales are my preferred drink. I love the fruity, citrusy yeasts that Bavarian wheat beers sourced from their traditional stocks and environment. It gives the glass a honeyed appearance and a stiff head that you just don't get with many other beers. I find lagers tend to have a flavor profile that isn't complex enough to satisfy my tastes, and a sweetness I find off-putting.

7. Meeseeks

Meeseeks New Member

I like delicious beer. I don't care about arbitrary divisions. As long as it tastes good, I'll take it, 100 percent.

8. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Now that I read others factoring in price, I guess my true self came out and figured that is probably what I base it on too. Ales usually are cheaper, but it all depends.

9. Athanas

Athanas Member

My opinion here is that, both are nice and I don't want to be biased here. I think the only difference between them is the brewing process, which I guess may not have much effect on their taste. In terms of cost, Ale is cheaper.

10. dionnextherese

It depends on my mood when I drink. If I want higher alcohol content, I would definitely choose Ale but if I want low alcohol content, the I would go for Lager.

11. akjangra

akjangra New Member

I'm usually ready for both, and wouldn't leave a bottle empty if I was given some! Sometimes, I do prefer the darker composition of ale. Like you said, they taste a little bitter, like dark chocolate. Most of my friends here prefer lager, but not me! In spite of my preference, I still love lager too!

12. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I try to avoid anything that comes close to anything like dark chocolate, in texture and taste, but I do like a thicker lager in the winter months. Might have to get some and bundle up tonight.

13. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin New Member

Definitely.

14. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin New Member

True.

15. Maestro

Maestro New Member

So I don't know anything about Ale or Lager but I know pilsner urquell is the best beer I've ever had. Guiness has to be my second favorite

16. walter12

walter12 Member

I quite like Guiness, never tried pilsner though

17. Hova

Hova New Member

I recommend pilsner urquell. You won't regret it.

18. Maestro

Maestro New Member

You should, it's amazing.

19. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin New Member

20. Itsmenermin

Itsmenermin New Member

I agree.