Beer Garden Events

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by lexinonomous, May 31, 2016.

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I am very unfamiliar with Beer Gardens and what then entail. I've heard of a few local Beer Garden events, but have yet to check them out for myself. From what I understand, a Beer Garden is a collective of local Breweries that come together for a tasting event. It's similar to a festival, but a bit smaller. I have seen the number of people that come into events like this and question if it's even worth the trouble. The prices for these events are usually around $20-30 and with an event that crowded, I'd feel as if I wasted my money to stand in the sun all day.

Has anyone gone to an event like this?
    How was your experience?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Beer garden events happen regularly here in Bucharest, but I don't really want to spend my time there. Too many people, long queues if you want to taste something and the atmosphere isn't too pleasant.

lexinonomous likes this.
  3. lexinonomous

Do they really? We only have one once a year, if that. The atmosphere is always overly crowded and full of people trying to get drunk off of the samples being offered. I've only attended one beer event and it resulted in me getting sick. It doesn't appeal to me because you're constantly mixing different beers. I tend to get sick when I mix just about anything.

4. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I have never been to the October beer fest but what i have heard is pretty similar to what you describe. I still want to go there one day though. There is nothing like experiencing things for yourself.

5. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I have been to a Beer Fest. That was the actual name hence the capital letters. It was great until midnight. After midnight they told me I was having a great time. :) Beer garden sounds very nice and I would like to have that experience one time. It was never organized in Serbia or to be more precise in my home town.

6. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Haha, the objective of a beer fest is to put away as much beer as you can, that's how come it's a good idea to go with friends you can trust. Normally when they have some sort of event were I'm from they always have a lot of beer but I think it's different when the party is based around the beer. I still would like to go to one.

7. lexinonomous

I've attended one beer festival and I ended up getting incredibly sick. If that's the objective- count me out. I don't see the point in drinking when it's for the sole purpose of getting trashed. The beer festival I attended gave us bracelets which were parked as we received our drinks. We were only allowed to get one sample from each booth. After that, it had to be all purchased. You'd think that eight ounce pours would be nothing, but I left that festival sick and hammered. It was probably one of the worst experiences for me, ever...heh.

SirJoe likes this.
  8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Maybe I'm not seeing the things correctly, I was under the impression that in a beer fest you would have a whole lot of different beer makers offering their brews and a whole lot of food to go with it, and that their would be music and different events surrounding the festival. Basically like any other festival but with more variety of beer, sitting down all day long and only chugging beer doesn't seem that much fun.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, Oktoberfest is even worse than that because the event is picked up by mostly every media in the world, people come to Germany only for Oktoberfest and that's pretty rough.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I wonder if you could go to the surrounding areas and have a better experience. I have heard that the October beer fest has become very commercial, but that's not necessarily a bad thing after all Disney World is as commercial as it gets and nearly everyone wants to go there (I don't personally I would rather go to the October beer fest)

11. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah but Disneyland has more locations, I went to the nearby areas when I went to Oktobefest but that took a little bit from the experience. At least we had fun and drank some good beer!

SirJoe likes this.
  12. Sue

Sue Active Member

We have Beer Fests and Beer Gardens here and they are completely different evens. With Beer Fest you pay one price and you get to taste test a variety of beers. A Beer Garden is usually like a big outside bar. There are bars set up and there is always live entertainment. They are held during festivals to draw crowds. I have been to many beer gardens and had a blast but I never found the Beer Fests to be worth the money.

13. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

Its a good way to get out of the house or whatever for people and socialize. Some people spend all day in front of a computer or talking on the phone and they want to have a fun night out. You don't really have to go out and get smashed,and some of these beer garden events are to raise money for good causes like dogs and cats,or saving the environment sometimes.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Member

This is one of those where the prices tend to be a little higher, which means I usually do not attend. Now that I think back a little bit though I did used to go when I was younger.

15. xyrene

xyrene Member

Over here, beer events happen around Oct., there is really a large crowd that attends this yearly beer gathering that also features a concert by various bands. When you buy a ticket, you get 5 cups of beer inclusive with the admission, then you can purchase the succeeding beers at a low price.