Best Bourbon Cocktail?

Discussion in 'Bourbon Forum' started by albreeden, Feb 2, 2016.

1. albreeden

albreeden New Member

I think that the best bourbon cocktail is Four Roses with a little ginger simple syrup and a few dashes of Angostura bitters.

Anyone else have a personal favorite?

2. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I've generally kept it simple. Bourbon and Water is about as basic as a cocktail and it works. In the past, I drank Bourbon Supremos (Bourbon and Tonic), though I know that is an outright sacrilege to the bourbon fans. They just went down smooth during the blistering summer months.

3. albreeden

albreeden New Member

Bourbon and tonic? That's something that I haven't tried. I'm not usually about tonic, but I'll try anything once.

4. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have had it with simple syrup and grapefruit juice. It was really quite good. I don't remember what it was called though.

5. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

There is a cocktail called The Big Texan that is made from bourbon, grapefruit juice, simple syrup and basil. I'm not really hip to sweet drinks, but the flavor of bourbon with grapefruit juice isn't bad.

kgord likes this.
  6. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I like fresh Bourbon on the rocks or I like some home made ginger ale with a splash of vodka. I like some neat drinks and I don't like them complicated with too much sugar.

7. kgord

kgord Active Member

Now that is something I never would have though of daddy0. I mean bourbon and grapefruit juice..who knew? It sounds like a tasty treat, and one I would be willing to try. I tend to just mix my bourbon with coke or ginger ale. It is a bit boring I admit!

8. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

No worries. I generally take my bourbon neat or with water. So, there are even simpler ways to imbibe said. ;)

9. jimbo480

jimbo480 New Member

A Manhattan is good..
    1 part Sweet Vermouth
    2parts Bourbon
    Dash bitters
    Add ice, stir for 45 seconds and strain.
    Garnish optional..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I like my bourbon like I like my scotch. Neat with a bit of ice.

11. crimsonghost747

Someone on this forum recommended to mix it with ginger ale, that worked pretty well. But I still prefer to have the good stuff neat or on the rocks. The ginger ale trick was most welcome though when a friend bought over a super cheap (plastic bottle and everything) whisky that tasted like crap! :D

12. cortana

cortana New Member

Alabama Slammer.

Equal parts Jack Daniel’s, amaretto almond liqueur, orange juice and creme de novaux into a shaker and strain.

13. Destiny

Destiny Member

Yeah, I usually order Manhattan or whatever the special is there. I usually try to order house drinks while I'm visiting a bar.

14. AngelaMc

AngelaMc Member

Usually if I drink Bourbon I normally drink it neat. In the Summer time though I enjoy making Bourbon Cranberry Cocktails. I saw the Food Network making them one day. Just add some Orange Juice, Cranberries, and a little Sugar to what ever your Bourbon choice is, and mix well in a pitcher or shaker. Pour over some ice and it's not only refreshing it's delicious.:)

thisnthat likes this.
  15. Terry

Terry Member

My fаvоuritе tо mаkе аnd drink.
    Bоurbоn Sоur:
    Bоurbоn оf yоur сhоiсе (i prеfеr Mаkеrs Mаrk)
    dаsh аngusturа bittеrs
    сосktаil lеmоn mix
    dаsh sugаr syrup
    еgg whitе
    Shаkе аnd strаin оvеr iсе, sеrvе with а sliсе оf оrаngе.

16. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I am not sure that I have ever had that Four Roses one, but that sounds really good. Ginger is usually good for the stomach too, so that might be a win win there.

17. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

18. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I just drink bourbon on the rocks usually-but I need to try a Mint Julep because this sounds quite interesting. This drink is made by adding a teaspoon of powdered sugar and 4 mint leaves with 2 teaspoons of water (muddle these together)- then add cracked ice with 2 ounces of bourbon. This is what all those ladies with hats drink at the kentucky derby(haha).

thisnthat likes this.
  19. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Ha, it's not just for ladies in hats. :) Mint Julep is actually very refreshing. Of course, I find almost anything with fresh mint in it to be refreshing.

Is there another name for this drink? I've had similar with vodka (or preferably gin), but I have never tried it with bourbon. Sounds good though. I enjoy the flavor combination of cranberry and orange.

FolkArtist likes this.
  20. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yes, I would agree that Mint Julep is a great way to drink bourbon. It is the drink of choice at the Kentucky Derby, and one that everyone seems to like. I think the best bourbon is from Kentucky so this is something that people would like.

FolkArtist likes this.