Bizarre Liquor Laws?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy-O, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Have you ever been to places where the liquor laws were really strange and/or draconian? In my travels around the country, I have found some odd ones. The state of Utah, in particular, has some pretty tough laws. And there are dry counties in the South.

Any that stand out in your mind? Thanks for sharing. :)

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

Well in PA you used to know be able to buy wine or beer in the store, the grocery store, that is, but that has been lifted for awhile. I am not sure how long ago. There used to be a dry township in Pennsylvania too. I don't know of a whole dry county though. That must be a little odd. Too bad for those who live there!

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I think that people that live in certain places get used to the laws and don't find it unusual. This might be surprising to many but were I live we don't have liquor stores. All the booze is sold in our local supermarkets.

4. artyarson

artyarson Member

Well, I guess the way Californian clubs are working is pretty much weird. 10 PM until 2 AM. 4 hours are not enough. But that's the way a state law is :(

5. artyarson

artyarson Member

I've also heard that in Germany people can legally drink at the age of 13 or so. Is that true? Any members from that area?

6. overcast

overcast Member

Yes been to some of the places where the bars used to close on 10. And they don't allow some specific type of drinks like Vodka etc. And they had mostly mild stuff. I am guessing this is to protect their citizens. I think some places in Asia are protective like that.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I grew up in Pennsylvania back in the 70's for awhile and went to grade school and high school there-and remember at a young age walking into a "state store"(not grocery stores) and buying liquor. They did not seem to mind how old you were back then though-but also they had beer distributors as well but sold mostly cases and kegs of beer. They would come out and put a case in your truck or the trunk of your car ,when you drove through-but also as I got older they had coolers of beer in bars-like a store would sell 6 packs of beer and you would walk up to the pay for it. Also I remember how open minded they were in NY state-because they had beer and wine right in the grocery stores back then(haha that was wierd and funny back then). I am not sure how they sell liquor there now,but it was interesting growing up there ?

#7 FolkArtist, Sep 4, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  8. overcast

overcast Member

I recently came across one of the county's rule. That they have this festival season and they don't seem to allow citizen to drink on that day. They do allow outsiders to get drunk and all. But they remain sober on that day this is to maintain the order.