Bourbon Same As Tennessee Whisky?

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by clair02, Jul 1, 2017.

1. clair02

clair02 Member

Quick question for you guys. Is Bourbon considered the same as Tennessee Whisky? If it is, why is this so and if it's not what are the differences?

2. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

They are basically the same but Tennessee Whiskey after distillation-must be filtered through sugar maple charcoal. This process kind of strips the Whiskey of its harsh flavorings and this really makes a smooth and more drinkable kind of Whiskey(remember the song by George Jones-and the lyrics are "your as smooth as Tennessee Whiskey").

3. clair02

clair02 Member

Thanks for the answer, FolkArtist. It's just something I was wondering about. I guess I already suspected that they were more or less the same I just didn't know about the distillation process.

4. xyrene

xyrene Member

Didn't know that there are differences in the distillation process for those whiskies, thanks for the info.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Whatever the truth is you could probably fool me and just tell me what it is and I will believe it. I would be curious to learn about the differences though, and I expect they are somewhat subtle.