Buying Beer For A Party

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by lexinonomous, Jul 4, 2016.

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

Everyone has their go-to beer when it comes to stocking up in the home, but we tend to change our minds when it comes to buying for a large group of people. Stocking up on beer for a party is usually a hard task. You have to decide if you want to go the cheap route or simply meet in the middle with your beer selection. Personally, I never know what to buy for large parties. I usually will grab a pack of something I enjoy and hope for the best. I can't give into buying a pack of Budweiser because I know I won't touch the stuff.

What beer you you buy for parties?
    Are you particular with your purchase or do you go with the cheapest option?

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I don't go with the cheapest but not with the most expensive choice either, I go down the middle with something that tastes pretty good but is still somewhat cheap. Those beers are called Ursus or Timisoreana here in Romania.

lexinonomous likes this.
  3. lexinonomous

This is usually my mentality when going into the store. I find that Bevmo is usually my best bet. I can find quality beer, but miss out on the expensive prices. I love that Romania has a term for this! Sadly, the only word we have for this situation in America is "cheap." I can't bring myself to purchase the cheapest beer available because I know it's just going to sit in a tub of ice. No one enjoys a cheap beer unless they have nothing else to go to.

4. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I go with the most popular beer in Serbia and the cheapest actually. Zajecarsko. It is very good and we drink a lot so I remember we drank 120 half litre bottles for a new year's eve. We also like Jelen but it is a bit more expensive. For example, a bottle of Zajecarsko is 0,35 Euro cents and Jelen is 0,5 Euro cents and they both have strong sides but the price is way to different.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

In my country buying beer for a party will not be a difficult task. All you will need to do is get some Heineken, Red Stripe, and Guinness beers and definitely someone will be served. These are the usual standard for the crowd here.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Ha, I wish they had a name for "middle-line" beers, Timisoreana and Ursus are just the names of the companies that produce them. I agree that no one enjoys a cheap beer, I wouldn't drink it even if I had nothing else to at a party.

lexinonomous likes this.
  7. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

If it's a party I'll just buy the pack that brings the most and it's cheaper. If it's a party, on one is going to care about the taste since all people wanna do is get wasted.

8. lexinonomous

It would be so much easier if they had a name and section for middle line beers. In my area, the common beers you'd buy for a party are Budweiser, Coors Light, and Sierra Nevada (if you wanted to be a little fancy with your middle line beer.) It wouldn't hurt to have a budget section to look through. Majority of the time I don't even like purchasing middle line beers because they gross me out. They always taste like Budweiser to me.

9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I've heard of Budweiser and Coors Light before so even here in Europe people know about them. Why are they so popular since they can only be found in US? Are those the obvious choice or something if you want a cheap beer?

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Were I live it's not that difficult to buy beer for a party, all you have to do is choose between Super Bock or Sagres. Everyone likes either one of the beers but they aren't the cheapest. The ideal is to have half of each.

11. Sue

Sue Active Member

I will buy a few different kinds and a few light ones. You are pretty safe with Bud LIght or Coorts Light both are very popular. I usually don't buy the cheap stuff because most people don't care for it but then again like I have always heard, the best kind of beer is a free beer. Most people won't refuse a beer no matter what it is.

12. justintheruffian

I stick to "safe" and relatively cheep beer. I know not everyone is into craft beer. In fact, I'd say more people drink regular cheap beer than craft beer because of the lighter, more subtle taste. Coors Light is probably my go to because it's my favorite mainstream/cheap beer. I'll buy Bud Light or Michelob every now and then though. Bud Light is the favorite around here since I'm from St. Louis.

13. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

There's a lot of factors that go into making the decision of what beer to buy for a party. First, is who the guests are and how many of them are there. I don't really enjoy Budweiser either, but if a special friend has a particular beer that they love, no matter what my opinion of it is, I'll purchase it for them. Second, if the party is super large, I can't reasonably buy 30 different beers to accommodate everyone's taste. I just settle on a few selections and if anyone is that displeased, they can run to the corner store and purchase something else. The crowd I hang out with is pretty go-with-the-flow. We know that if we're gonna be that particular, then we should just bring our own out of sheer courtesy.