Caviar?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy-O, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

A delicacy available in some restaurants and clubs is caviar. For those that might not know, it is salt-cured fish-eggs of the Sturgeon. It can be expensive, but some people really like it. I may be one of those rare birds that neither loves it, nor hates it. But, admittedly, I haven't had much of it over the years.

Do you like caviar? If so, how do you consume said? Any particular brand you enjoy?

Thanks for sharing!

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

I don't think I have ever had it. I may have tasted it, but that would be it. I know that it has a salty and fishy taste. I used to have a supervisor who really liked it a lot. She ate it all the time, because it is fairly low in calories. She was diabetic, so she couldn't have that many foods she thought were scrumptious.

3. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Salty and fishy is about right. Though there is a bit more nuance and texture to it. One thing to avoid is to use a metal spoon whilst serving it. I did that once (key word once) and never did again. The metal makes it taste very nasty in short order.

4. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I have never tried it before but wouldn't mind giving it a try. I heard that it's got a very strong fish taste. Since I do like fish I think I might enjoy it.

5. Sue

Sue Active Member

Where I live has what it considered to be the best caviar in the world. We are known for our Sturgeon farming. I am not much of a fish eater so I have never had it and just can't bring myself to try it. It is just mind thing though. I just assume that I will not like it because it is fishy tasting.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

It's not something I would kill for but it is good. Here in Romania it's kind of hard to get ahold of so I don't bother too much. Caviar is overrated in my opinion.

7. Norm A

Norm A Member

I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Even before I tasted it, I hated it. Urgh! Fish eggs.. am I the only one who is grossed out by this? I get that a lot of people love it, and it's expensive and all that, but I will never ever put any of that stuff in my mouth.

Sue likes this.
  8. Sue

Sue Active Member

I couldn't agree more. I gag just watching other people eat it. I don't get it and I can't believe that people pay the money that they do for it. Ewwwwwwww

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

What is the difference between eating fish eggs and chicken eggs? Eggs are eggs.

10. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I tried it while working in the kitchen of a hotel and what can I say? It's fish eggs. It sounds really bad when I give it a thought and I can say it is not that special really but it tastes better than it looks, that is for sure. I believe that most of the snobs eating this wouldn't touch it if caviar becomes extremely cheap. Maybe I'm wrong but with a good price tag some people would eat fried rocks.

11. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Fair point. They taste totally different, of course. But still, we humans eat all kinds of eggs. All kinds of stuff for that matter. ;)

Ugh. I hear you about caviar snobs. They're generally pretty obnoxious folks. The few times, except for once, that I had the stuff I thought it was OK. Though once it was pretty nasty.

But, agreed, snobbery in any form is pretty lame.

12. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That is one of humanities strongest points, even if it's poisonous we will still find a way to eating it. Everything is on the menu.