Cheapest Bourbon

Discussion in 'Bourbon Forum' started by justintheruffian, Jul 26, 2016.

1. justintheruffian

I was gonna make this topic in the Whiskey forum, but I see somebody beat me to it. What's the least you were able to shell out for a bottle of bourbon? Was it worth it or was it totally disgusting? I don't think I've gotten anything cheaper than Ten High, which was $8 for 750 ml. Ten High is a pretty big name brand, and honestly I didn't think it was bad for the price. If I'm ever broke, I wouldn't be opposed to buying it again. With that said, I've heard there is some VILE stuff out there if you go any cheaper.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I had Ten High too and for the price it doesn't taste bad at all, I still buy a bottle from time to time.
    I don't think I ever bought bourbon that I didn't like, but I've always spent more than 10$ on one.

3. kgord

kgord Active Member

I don't think our local ABC store carries that brand. I don;t think I have seen it, if I did I probably would have scooped it up. They carry a pretty good selection of liquors and liquers but that particular brand doesn't really ring a bell, however, I haven't especially looked for it either.

4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

The cheapest bourbon that I have ever bought was a total of $5.00. I found the bourbon at Stater Bros- a grocery store in my area. The bourbon was a store brand beverage and honestly, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I used the bourbon for a house party. It was a last minute purchase that everyone sent me to the store for. Since no one was willing to pitch in, I went with the cheapest bottle possible and it went over surprisingly well.

kgord likes this.
  5. kgord

kgord Active Member

We don't have the luxury of buying liquor at the grocery store here. We have to go to a state store. We can buy beer and wine at the grocery store and that is where I do most of my purchasing. I have never tried to get the local state store to order any beverages but a cheap bourbon might be one they might consider stocking, as most of the bourbon options there are quite pricey.

6. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I used to be able to get Old Crow Bourbon for around $9. It is still in that zone, though I don't buy it much. Of the relatively cheap bourbons, it isn't bad stuff. Particularly in mixed drinks that call for said.

7. Sue

Sue Active Member

I was also going to say Old Crow. It is cheap but not too bad at all with the right mix. I haven't had it in some time but we use to buy it when we were younger because the price was right. In those days it was more about the money then about the flavor.

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I only buy one brand of bourbon and that is the old faithful Jack Daniels. It doesn't mater how much it costs, if I'm in the mood for bourbon that is my go to brand.

Sue and kgord like this.
  9. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think the next time I go to the liquor store, I am going to scope out the brands of bourbon to see what the cheapest is. Virginia is kind of a greedy state, so I am guessing they will have higher end brands only in bourbon..I don't inspect that shelf on a regular basis so I am not sure.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I was going through the whiskey section in a store near were I live and the cheapest that I saw was €5. I am not going to buy it because honestly who knows how it was made to be at that price.

Sue likes this.
  11. Sue

Sue Active Member

SirJoe likes this.
  12. TayH

TayH New Member

If we are looking for cheap we buy Woodstock bourbon usually in premixed cans. It's not that bad really but it's definitely not the best tasting bourbon in the world. I would much prefer to skip the cheaper bourbon and buy bullet bourbon instead. It's a stronger mix but very smooth.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

@Sue Jim Beam is a respectable bourbon but I don't really buy it, I will normally have it if they don't have JD. Were I come from they don't have a lot bourbon but you can always find these two brands.

14. larryl332

larryl332 New Member

Well if you are wanting to go that route, there are certainly a lot of options out there. I am trying to think of particular brands, and they usually just those names that you know are cheap (your Black Velvet and Silk Road). I always try to go a little more expensive, but I cannot say that I am better than a cheap bottle of booze. Thanks for sharing.

15. TakKovacs

TakKovacs New Member

Ahhhh, cheap bourbons. Kentucky Gentleman and Kentucky Tavern can both be had for about six bucks a fifth if you find the right place. The store up the street from my house sells it for less than three dollars a pint and the local drunks buy it up.
    There are million cheap ones though. Zackariah Harris and Benchmark are a couple of good ones that run about ten dollars a fifth. But for the money, Jim Beam is still an awesome buy for around fifteen bucks.

16. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I am not sure I can think of anything particular, but I guess that it might have the same name as the other cheap ones. Maybe some form of color and then a velvet or silk.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I am not sure about getting to cheap with the bottom shelf bourbons but a pretty good one is Evan Williams and its actually a older brand than Jack Daniels. This bourbon is sometimes known as the poor man's Jack Daniel's and is charcoal-filtered like Jack. They say it taste better than Jim Beam as well,and I might have to agree with them.

18. clair02

clair02 Member

I usually go for the cheap stuff when we're having a party or some kind of get-together with a lot of people. My reasoning is that if someone wants the good stuff then they should be able to buy it for themselves. Who could afford to shell out so much money for all those people?

19. xyrene

xyrene Member