Craft Soda

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by lexinonomous, Jul 4, 2016.

1. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

This isn't a very common practice in restaurants, but this is a subject that my boyfriend and I have been discussing for some time. My boyfriend works as a full time line cook at a local Gastropub. They have tons of craft beer and various craft cocktails. Everyone they serve is unique in it's own way, but their soda remains regular. He has suggested the idea of craft sodas many times, but his company hasn't gone for it yet.

Flash forward to yesterday, we discovered a new restaurant in the area featuring craft sodas. I am so excited to go give them a try!

Have you tried any craft sodas?
    Do you think it'd be something that interests you?
    Would you try them if they had a bit of alcohol included?

2. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I don't know where are you right now but in Serbia, where I am this is still quite usual thing in many kafanas, that is Serbian pubs/beer places. They have those pressurised bottles and everything and we usually drink spritzers with soda.

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That sounds like a good idea, the only thing that I know how to make is ginger ale, but it would be interesting to see what else can be used. The only problem that you might face is the fermentation process that you need to do in the bottle in order for it to be carbonated. There might be too much sugar in the soft drink and the bottles could explode.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I haven't ever had a craft soda, I only tried craft beers and those are delicious. Not a lot of pubs here in Romania have them, I'd love to try some in the near future. Tell us if you liked the soda or not! :D

5. lexinonomous

I've had a few craft sodas, but they were all store bought. They were way better than any name brand soda I've bought in the past. The soda I had was a rootbeer, which was a bit different than your average rootbeer. The big difference I could taste was spice. You could tell that someone took the time to use real ingredients because the flavors just hit you right in the face. The flavors are strong, but they're not overwhelming. :)

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Root beer is definitely something I want to try out in the near future. I'm curious, what kinds of flavor do they add to crafted sodas? I'm sure the "spice" kicks in from the first gulp.

7. artyarson

artyarson Member

Unfortunately, it's not available yet in my area but it seems to be a cool thing to give a try to at least once.

8. artyarson

artyarson Member

Btw, is there any chance to turn a regular soda to a craft soda myself?

9. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

Craft soda is increasingly becoming popular. I have only had store bought versions, but they were very good. I have seen more and more varieties and brands on the shelves of the stores that I normally purchase alcohol. Some people think they're quite controversial because they claim since it's "soda" that it may be more appealing or purposely marketed towards people that are not of legal drinking age. I don't agree with this theory, but there will always be critics of anything new.

10. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

There are a lot of recipes online. If you can't find any were you live you could try to make them yourself.

11. artyarson

artyarson Member

Sure, I can try to pull this off myself. That's gonna be fun. Have you ever tried yourself? What was the experience like?

SirJoe likes this.
  12. Sue

Sue Active Member

I actually had to google it because I never heard of craft soda but now that I look at it I am familiar with it. Just never really paid a whole lot of attention to it. I will have to give it a try the next time I am at a place that has it. I think the root beer would be awesome. Root beer has always been a favorite flavor of mine.

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Yes, I once made my own ginger beer. It was fun but it was some time ago. Unfortunately I didn't activate the yeast before I put it into the bottle so the carbonation wasn't very high, but besides that it was the best ginger beer I have ever had.

14. lexinonomous

The verdict: craft sodas are delicious! I had the chance to make my way to a restaurant over the weekend. They had four sodas to select from and all were made in house. I chose to try a cream soda and a cherry cola. Both of them were amazing and you could see huge differences in the flavors. I'd definitely recommend it. :)

15. Norm A

Norm A Member

First I've heard of craft soda. I guess I always knew it and I've tasted some, I just never knew it was called that. Nice to learn new things everyday. Quick question, what does root beer taste like?