Do You Like Flavored Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by Sue, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Sue

Sue Active Member

Lately it seems to be a thing to have flavored beer. Budweiser has apple which is pretty good. Here Moosehead had Radler which you can get in a grapefruit or I think a berry flavor. There is also Ice Tea, Blueberry and a few other flavors that I can't think of right now. I do enjoy them for a drink but they are not something you can drink too much of. They also go nice with a meal. So far the grapefruit one has been my favorite. So what flavored beer have you tried and what do you think of them?

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

I have tried the lime beers and also apricot flavored beers. Lime is OK, tastes good in the summer, and apricot I liked alot. I found that at Trader Joes. At Busch Gardens they have beer tastings, where they pair their latest brews with crackers and so forth,,like a wine tasting for the beer set.

3. mandak

mandak New Member

I don't usually like fruit flavored anything. But, I've tried an apricot one from a local microbrew (Fremont brewing) that was decent. The flavor was subtle. I'm really not a fan of the lime beers or pumpkin beers.

4. Sue

Sue Active Member

I had the lime beer before. It is a nice summer drink but I couldn't drink more then a couple of them before the taste got to me. I would never buy a case of it. The only way I had it was because somebody offered it to be at a get together.

5. kgord

kgord Active Member

Yes, I wouldn't drink the lime when it is cold out. You need to have something that warms you from the inside, and lime definetly isn't designed to do that. I would be much more in the mood for some sort of warm beverage like mulled wine or cider.

Sue likes this.
  6. Sue

Sue Active Member

A warm beverage will definitely warm the insides up especially in this snow, cold January weather!!

7. Jesus Viloria

Jesus Viloria New Member

I'm gonna have to agree with you on that. This weather calls for a nice hot beverage (or some whisky/gin). I'm looking forward to summer, so I can really enjoy an ice-cold beer again

8. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

No, not really. I find that flavored beer doesn't work too well, beer has a pretty unique taste that shouldn't be altered.

Sue likes this.
  9. Sue

Sue Active Member

I have to agree with you on that, I always try thrm but I have the same thought after a few.

10. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

It's like cider. I do not think it can be called beer abut okay. Maybe it is something I haven't tried. We have some lemon variants and grapefruit too. It has less alcohol than beer and it tastes not like beer. I like it but I never use it instead of beer. It's like eating apple instead of a steak.

Sue likes this.
  11. Sue

Sue Active Member

I do like that comparison. It is a great way to put it because even though they are referred to as beer they are nothing like beer in taste.

12. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

And I am a vegetarian by the way :) But really. I prefer Pils type of beer and this is more like a soda or something. It isn't my cup of tea.

Sue likes this.
  13. MyDigitalpoint

I'm not really fan of flavored beer, because their taste usually reminds the that of the coolers, so popular a while back.

In fact, I think that beers are much like fine spirits, their taste as they come from the brewer is what makes them better or worst.

When a beer has add-on flavors, you don't really know how good it is from the ground.

14. Sue

Sue Active Member

[QUOTE When a beer has add-on flavors, you don't really know how good it is from the ground.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with this statement. To appreciate a good beer you have to have it the way it is meant to be. You don't need to have any add-ons to alter the taste.

15. Molly Brougham

I LOVE flavored beers. I am a huge fan of Bent River Brewery in Illinois. They make a raspberry wheat ale that is light and smooth. They also make a blueberry coffee stout that is very good. I think my favorite is their jalapeno ale: just enough kick but still light enough to drink.

Sue likes this.
  16. crimsonghost747

I've tried a few but it's really not my thing. Desperados (tequila and lemon flavoured) is an interesting one to try on a hot summer day though.

17. Sara

Sara New Member

I don't like flavored beer either, and definitily don't like pumpkin or lime beers. I say that because beer has a unique taste for itself and there's no reason to change it.

18. Sue

Sue Active Member

They sound good. I am really liking the sounds of the jalapeno ale. I would love to get my hands on some of that stuff.

19. Molly Brougham

Where are you from? They just expanded their sales to the Chicago area! There are other ales that are similar. I will see if I can find the names of them. Although, they are more black pepper flavored than jalapeno pepper.

20. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

Yeah I like them a lot. Somersby for example it's great and I drink it quite frequently. The taste is fairly different from a "normal" beer but it still has the main taste.