Drinking Instead Of Eating

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by FuZyOn, Jun 1, 2016.

1. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I noticed I do this from time to time, and it's probably not the best thing. Sometimes when I'm at lunch and I'm too lazy to cook for myself I drink a beer or two instead of eating.

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

I was talking to someone one day, and I asked what she had for supper,,she said a beer! First of all that is a pretty lousy dinner, but second of all..my stomach would be growling all night if I did that. I need real food!

3. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I have to admit I've done that before. Or just had a light snack and some beer. It is the best for one's health, but I don't know that every now and again is the end of the world.

4. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I have an uncle who works construction and he does that too. He says that eating makes him feel heavy and it slows his work down, but drinking a beer will help him relax and get the job done. Is that how you feel?

5. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I guess she wasn't that hungry at dinner, I could be able to skip lunch with a couple of beers but I have to eat properly at dinner otherwise I wouldn't be able to sleep.

6. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Not really, I'm a software engineer so most of my day is spent at my PC, a lunch doesn't slow me down because I don't do a lot of physical work. But in some cases a beer can substitute a meal and make me more productive.

7. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I had a habit of doing this a few years ago and ended up gaining a ton of weight. I don't think I will ever replace my meals with beer ever again. It was a quick way for me to get some calorie intake and not feel so starving, but it resulted in a sick stomach and constant weight gain. I was doing this regularly for several months, until I realized that I had a 20-30 pound weight gain. I try to make my meals as I go now.

8. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I have never done this but I there was a time that I would always drink something when I was cooking. I would either have two beers or two glasses of wine.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

That's not something that I would subscribe. I am going to substitute beer for food. I believe that alcohol would have a greater effect on my body because of me being hungry. There are many persons who will consume alcoholic beverages under any circumstances. I prefer, however, not to consume alcohol when I am hungry.

10. kgord

kgord Active Member

Sometimes I drink in the afternoon when I just have had a yogurt or something for lunch. The alcohol does really hit you when you have an empty stomach. I had a couple of glasses of wine tonight when my stomach was pretty empty but I followed it with some pizza.:)

lexinonomous likes this.
  11. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

It's the best way to drink. Unless getting drunk is your objective, it's the only way to drink.

12. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I wish that I had the same effect from drinking on an empty stomach. I seem to have the opposite effect when drinking on an empty stomach. I find that alcohol hits me much harder and will get me incredibly tipsy. Not only that, but I usually become ill when drinking a hefty amount of beer without having food in my system.

13. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Okay, this is just senseless although I like beer I also like cooking but even if I didn't I wouldn't be able to drink instead of eating. :) I would faint or something. What I do is I drink while eating or after my meal. It really is soothing for my biorhythm.

14. kgord

kgord Active Member

Well, I didn't say I was drinking a hefty amount. It might just be a glass of two of wine. It is one of the things that I will do sometimes to entertain myself. I don't get super tipsy just feeling happy.

15. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That's why I like to have a drink while I'm cooking, after all you have to taste the food while you ate cooking. I think there is a law or something. :D

16. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Alcohol does have a lot of sugar so it will keep you going for a while. Just as long as you don't drink too much it won't get you instantly drunk. It will on the other hand take less drinks to get you drunk. So if you drink half a cup of wine it shouldn't do too much harm.

17. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I like to have some wine with a bit of food at least,but just wine alone seems to just make me hungry for at least some cheese and crackers. You should slow down a bit like the French people do and take time for a big lunch though(with wine),but I think their dinners are usually smaller. Also French people don't just go out and have drinks in the evening, they also have a meal as well.

18. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I remember once hearing that beer was basically liquid bread, and I used that to justify this for a bit. I learned pretty quick it was a terrible idea.

19. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

Drinking instead of eating it's something I never did and never intend to do. My base is to be well fed before doing anything (and this can't be replaced... because I eat at least one salty snack or something :)).

20. xyrene

xyrene Member

I don't have that problem, since I prefer food over beer. If ever I feel too lazy to eat then I just sleep on my hunger since I think that substituting it with beer would make me feel "sick" because of it's taste.