Ever Had Absinthe?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy-O, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Hey pals. Have you ever had Absinthe? It is the green drink that contains wormwood. It was banned in the US of A since 1912, so most of the 20th century. Though the ban was partially lifted in 2007. As such, it has been kind of a "forbidden fruit" here in the States. However, I've read that it was and is more readily available in Europe.

So, have you ever had the stuff? What was it like? The taste? The effect?

Thanks and cheers!

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Absinth is quite an interesting drink, too strong for my tastes so I don't drink it that much. Even here in Europe it's hard to get a hold of, I haven't seen a lot of stores that have it in stock.

3. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Yah, I"ve read it is really strong stuff. I suspect some of the more lurid tales about it's effect are probably an exaggeration, but I can't say for certain, of course.

4. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I have always wanted to try it, but I am too scared to try it. I have heard of people seeing things and I am already too crazy to drink something and make me even more crazy.

5. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

What used to have all those weird psychedelic reactions in people was the worm wood. Modern day absinthe no longer is matured in worm wood, so it no longer has the same side effects. I've never had it before but wouldn't mind giving it a try.

6. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think trying the old stuff would be interesting. I think that Absinthe is quite strong though no matter what type you have. I have never seen it or tried it. It just seems to be the stuff of legend. It just is something that has a lot of mystery associated with it.

7. artyarson

artyarson Member

Damn! I've had it once. Moreover, it was kind of surprise. My friend bought a shot for me without telling me what it was. I didn't seem to care much, so I grabbed it and swallowed everything in a second. And then... I suddenly felt like my whole body was burning :D

That was the way we first met.

8. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

From what I've read, the stuff we can get here in the US is indeed Thujone-free per the law. However, what is available in parts of Europe and elsewhere still contains the aforementioned ingredient.

SirJoe likes this.
  9. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

You get tipsy really quick, I'll tell you that. I probably have low immunity but after a couple of absinth shots I'm already buzzing, it's pretty strong. :p

10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I will be the first to admit that I am terrified of trying absinthe. I have seen so many reaction videos towards absinthe, but movies have still instilled the fear of the alcohol in me. From what I understand, absinthe is not nearly as intense as they portray it in films. I wish they didn't make such a huge fuss over the stuff because I might be more inclined to try it. My worst fear is having a not-so-pleasant experience and completely flying off the handle.

11. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

Yes. To elaborate this. Until then I have never tried that drink and my experience was messed up. I think the green fairy thing is a bit exaggerated but the thing is this spirit is pretty strong when it comes to alcohol volume. I can barely remember what happened that night and by the way I was 19, on a high school Euro trip in Prague at the moment. I know I lost my t-shirt and few things more. Apart from that, it is very tasty, with anise and fennel and all the other herbs.

12. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Then I have to be really careful, the last thing I want is for the green fairy to pay me a visit. Who knows what it might lead to, I don't feel like cutting off one of my ears.

13. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I'm glad to hear that the green fairy bit is exaggerated. They really make absinthe sound scary in the media. I don't know if I would like to experience something, only to forget it. Do you think it'd be possible to experience absinthe in very small amounts? I'd hate to black out and forget the entire experience.