Hоw Саn I Аpprесiаtе Thе Diffеrеnсеs Bеtwееn Diffеrеnt Typеs Оf Bееrs?

Discussion in 'Beer Forum' started by Terry, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Terry

Terry Member

Hоw саn I аpprесiаtе thе diffеrеnсеs bеtwееn diffеrеnt typеs оf bееrs?

2. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

Tаstе thеm еасh. But dо it right.
    I wоuld find а gооd bееr bаr. оnе thаt hаd lоts оf drаfts аnd lоts оf bоttlеs аnd а knоwlеdgаblе bаrtеndеr (yоu саn gеt gооd infо оn сhоwhоund . соm fоr mоst сitiеs in thе US аnd mаny аbrоаd). Tеll thе bаrtеndеr yоu аrе intеrеstеd in lеаrning mоrе аbоut bееr, аnd аsk him оr hеr fоr sаmplеs оf а fеw kinds.
    If it's а gооd plасе, thе bееrs will nоt bе iсе соld, thе tеmpеrаturе will vаry by typе, аnd thеy will bе sеrvеd in diffеrеnt shаpеd glаssеs.
    Lооk аt thе bееr. Sniff it. Tаkе а tаstе аnd lеt it sit а littlе, dоn't gulp. Thеn swаllоw. Hаvе sоmе brеаd оr sоmеthing, wаit а littlе, tаstе аnоthеr.
    BееR! It's gооd stuff!
    Thеn yоu саn stаrt еxplоring yоur fаvоritе typеs оn yоur оwn.

3. Stephens

Stephens Member

Thеrе's оnе аnd оnly оnе "bеst" wаy tо аpprесiаtе thоsе distinсtiоns -- stаrt tо brеw yоur оwn bееr. Nоthing еlsе will еxpоsе yоu sо dееply tо thе histоriсаl аnd сhеmiсаl dеfinitiоn оf а givеn stylе, аnd hоw it rеlаtеs tо оthеrs.
    Thаt bеing sаid, it's nоt nесеssаrily thе mоst prасtiсаl wаy. Yоur nеxt bеst оptiоn wоuld bе tо bеfriеnd а bееr nеrd...еithеr mаkе а nеw асquаintаnсе, оr find а wеll-infоrmеd bаrtеndеr аt а gооd brеw pub.

4. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I am pretty sure that people still sit and fake this for the most part. I know that there are some differences, but at a certain point it is just a beer and anything more seems like too much to talk about.

5. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

I'm sorry, but if that's how you feel then I think you are drinking the wrong beer. ;)

There is a huge amount of variety. There are many different styles, and "styles" within those styles. They use different processes and different ingredients and add different flavors.

I suggest visiting a beer pub. Try a flight of beer with good variety, and then see if you feel the same way.

6. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

A few things about enjoying and getting down to the taste of a variety of beers,is to make sure the beer is not to cold,because taste is harder to find when the beer is to cold. Also make sure you pour the beer in a glass and this really releases the aroma of beer quite a bit. These things will help you enjoy the taste of beer more and add more depth to drinking beer.

thisnthat likes this.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Well, of course you're going to have to taste many types of beers to appreciate the taste difference. You have to taste the top brands but also the bottom ones to see the how the taste differs.

8. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Very true. Both of these are good advice, as is using the proper glass for the particular style of beer. It really does make a difference.

That's a good point as well. Trying different styles in different brands can teach you a lot. Some brands are great at making one type while not as good at making another. You may think you don't care for a certain style, but then you taste it made by a brand that has perfected it, and it's like another beer entirely.

9. jakub1

jakub1 Member

Well it's known that a lot of beers taste the same but in order to notice the difference it's best to drink with them with difference foods.

10. Zero

Zero Member

I can your point of view, but aren't some of the bottom brands of such low quality.

11. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

You should opt for authentic and good places of drinking. Then sit with a relaxed mind. Try this only in the company of knowledgeable people who are experienced drinkers. Then, use multiple senses to analyze the beer. See it, smell it and then taste it. Take your time and don't speed up. This will help you to appreciate the difference between variety of beers.

12. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I would definitely try some of the low brands, even if they're of bad quality. It will make you realize why it's worth paying for a good beer rather than cheaping out.

13. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

Even some of the low brands hit the right note on occasion. While all their beers might not be great, they might make one that's really good.

Besides, people have different tastes and different opinions. What I think is good, you might think is bad. It really boils down to personal preference.

14. rz3300

rz3300 Member

You just have to know what you are looking for, and that seems to be my issue. I can tell the good ones but I have been fooled plenty of times in the past.

15. jakub1

jakub1 Member

You can never know without trying, that's the thing nowadays too many products that are lying.

16. thisnthat

thisnthat Active Member

If you like a certain style of beer, I'd suggest trying it from a number of different makers. You can also look it up and read reviews. While your own taste will ultimately decide, you can probably figure out which ones are worth trying, if they're getting great reviews.

Which beer lied and what did they lie about?

17. jakub1

jakub1 Member

Perhaps, you misunderstood, what i meant was some products have misleading information.

18. Zero

Zero Member

Not really, and even though i don't have much knowledge i noticed some differences.

19. Vallante

Vallante New Member

Appreciation is often the product of familiarity. Your first step into the wonderful world of beer appreciation should be to learn something about the brewing process and familiarize yourself with the major varieties. Once you have done that, you can seek out textbook examples of those varieties so you can sample each and compare their qualities to one another.

From here, the sky's the limit! To develop a better sense of beer appreciation you must diversify your palate by trying lots of new types. It can help to keep a tasting journal so you can put your tasting experience into words for future reference. Just remember to buy upscale. A beer does not necessarily have to be expensive to be good, but there's no point in trying to appreciate mass market varieties, except as an exercise in how not to enjoy a beer!

20. DavidLee

DavidLee New Member

It's amusing that one of the ways I appreciate the different types of beers I take is through Mixing them with other brands sometimes or even wine or lime/lemon juice. I don't often do this, but I've enjoyed the several times I've mixed them.