Irish Up Coffee?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Daddy-O, Jul 3, 2016.

1. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

Do you ever "Irish up" your coffee? That is the practice of putting a little whiskey into the mix. I can't say that I do as I don't drink in the morning nor drink coffee in the later hours, but I know it is a common practice.

There is classic mixed drink called Irish coffee that includes coffee, whiskey, sugar, and cream. It is usually served in a glass Irish coffee mug.

Anyway, just curious.

2. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I don't drink coffee anymore but I used to "Irish up" my coffee in the past, but only when I didn't have work later that day. Waking up to a "Irished up" coffee in the weekend made me look forward to the mornings actually. :p

3. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

I do like the combo but I don't do it that often. I normally will have one on family occasions when everyone is together and we have had a big meal together. A coffee with a "little scent" ( it doesn't translate well) can really be the icing on the cake.

4. Lisa Jo

Lisa Jo Member

I love to Irish up my coffee, but I cheat and do it the "girlie" way. I usually just put a little Bailey's Irish Cream in the coffee as creamer and skip the straight whisky into the mix. Perhaps I'm not that hardcore yet. It tastes great though.

Sue likes this.
  5. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

I have only put whisky into my coffee once. It wasn't that enjoyable. I didn't like the mixture of whisky and coffee together, but I do enjoy a bit of bourbon in my coffee. I discovered my love for bourbon at a local coffee shop. They created their coffee with peaches, rosemary, and bourbon. Once the mixture was done, they would have it readily available in their coffee shop. It was one of the most delicious drinks I've ever had.

Sue likes this.
  6. djordjem87

djordjem87 Member

I do this all the time actually. I am Serb so I drink. It's what we do. I like the Baileys combination the best. It is very nice but since it is not strong enough I always put some whiskey I have. There are those coffee machines and I have to say I love the way they make the Irish coffee.

7. artyarson

artyarson Member

Never knew it's actually called this way. The Irish coffee. Do they drink it in the same manner Brits do with tea?

8. kgord

kgord Active Member

That is something I might do in the winter. Sometimes on those cold days when you feel like you might need a bit of extra warmth. One combo though that I like alot better than an Irish coffee is the practice of putting peppermint schnapps in hot chocolate or cocoa. That is truly a delicious combination! Try that before participating in winter time activities, and you won't feel the chill!

Sue likes this.
  9. artyarson

artyarson Member

That's a great idea. I do a lot of snowboarding in winter, sometimes even at night. So, taking a flask full 0f coffee mixed with whiskey seems to be useful.

10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Irishing up your coffee before going snowboarding can lead to quite a "fun" experience if you get tipsy fast. Although I'm sure if it's cold outside you wouldn't even notice it.

11. kgord

kgord Active Member

Having a bit of whiskey on a cold winter morning is the bomb. I could not drink it in the evening though unless it was decaf. I would be awake all night for sure. Sleep is an issue I struggle with if I have had caffeine too late, as she sits her with an ice tea at 8pm..:p

SirJoe likes this.
  12. Norm A

Norm A Member

I love coffee with a bit of whisky. It's really great especially now because we are in the middle of winter here. I just make sure that I don't get tempted to Irish up my coffee while at work...

13. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Haha.
    I have to avoid everything with caffeine, it really affects me in a strong way. It comes in handy though when I have to stay up all night on a long drive. All I have to do is drink an espresso and I will be up all night long and straight through the morning.

14. Sue

Sue Active Member

I really like this idea for those cold winter days when you can't seem to warm up. Chocolate mint is one of my favorites so I can see how this would taste really taste good. I will have to keep that in mind with the winter months not being so far off.