Johnnie Walker - Dear Brother

Discussion in 'Whisky Critic Articles' started by Alex Bean, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Alex Bean

Alex Bean Administrator

View the Post on the Blog

2. MyDigitalpoint

Johnny Walker is a traditional brand with a long background story, and therefore most of their advertisements spin around traditional family/society values that make us stop and watch because both of these things are being lost; social values, and brands prestige.

3. sillylucy

sillylucy Member

I think of Johnny Walker as something that my grandpa has been drinking for years. The brand has a lot of history and they like to reflect that in their ads.

4. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

Yeah, I noticed a lot of traditional influences in Johnny Walker's advertisements, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They're unique this way.

5. Shenwil

Shenwil New Member

I have heard of Jhonny Walker but I haven't seen their advertisements.

6. Sue

Sue Active Member

Johnny Walker is a brand that has been around for so long and has a great reputation. People and families have been drying and enjoying it for many years. They always have great advertising.

7. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Johnny Walker is one of my preferred whiskeys. If you haven't had it before I highly recommend it.
    The ad is really good, a bit to nostalgic, but it might be because of their market audience.

8. Pavel

Pavel New Member

I must agree with your statement, and yes, they really have great marketing, which is even better than the whiskey itself. Of course, Johnny Walker really has some qualities, but it is not as good as the company wants to present. I would rather drink Ballantine's than Johnny Walker, and if I need to choose between these two, I would always take the first one.

9. kgord

kgord Active Member

I think that Johnny Walker is probably most recognizable whiskey brand next to Jack Daniels. It is a brand that many people will recognize and use as it has a great flavor and is one of the most well known of the brands. Many people have enjoyed this particular whiskey brands for many years, and has been mentioned in songs, as well as traditional advertising.

10. larryl332

larryl332 New Member

You are probably right there, and that is really what I think of when I think of decent whiskey. Not really too cheap, but also not too expensive where it breaks the bank or anything. That is really the stuff you get at the bars too, so I think that factors in there a little bit.

kgord likes this.
  11. kgord

kgord Active Member

Well, actually it may have been around even longer than JD. Someone should do a compaison of the two and find which one of them has been around the longest. That would be interesting to note. These are the things that you might need to have in practice when comparing the two.

12. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I wonder just how many of us out there have at one point referred to the named liquors as our friends or family members. My guess is that is somewhere around 95 percent.

13. dionnextherese

I first heard Johnny Walker last year when my mother bought it. I must say that this is one of the best whisket that I have tried. I would rate it a 10/10. But I haven't their advertisements.

14. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

I like that commercial a lot about Johnnie Walker Whisky-and it gives this Scotch Whisky a very deep meaning and a very rooted feel with a sense of place and good memories as well, I must say(It also looks like they are throwing some ashes of a family member back to the sea at the end). I have had some of their Whiskey- and I think it was the Red Label one, of this brand- but it was quite good and not to expensive. They have some other good commercials on YouTube as well, you could check out also-but this one below, has a more modern look and feel to it.

15. Kieranlewix

Kieranlewix New Member

Johnny Walker has certainly made a name for itself. It has managed to snatch a position next to Jack Daniels and Mc Mohan. I do agree with Pavel though. It has been over-praised in its advertisements and to be honest I don't think that's wrong at all. All in all, it gives liquor lovers their money's worth and that's the most important thing.

16. rz3300

rz3300 Member

That is a pretty good commercial. Now I am wondering why I have not heard of McMahon though. I am pretty sure I have not but am really curious now.

17. Zero

Zero Member

I have seen this coommercial somewhere.

18. dionnextherese

Yes, I think that they're unique also.

19. xyrene

xyrene Member

I never really noticed that theme until you pointed it out. I guess I'm not a good observer.

20. pmk1990

pmk1990 New Member

That ad would make you drink even if you didn't want to. It makes total sense.