One Big Ice Cube.

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by SirJoe, Jul 5, 2016.

1. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

There is a new fad that is going around were they will place a big ice cube in you cup and add some whiskey. It does catch your eye but how effective is it in keeping the whiskey chilled? Have you tried it out?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kgord

kgord Active Member

Hmm, well that's interesting. I guess I might worry about getting smacked in the nose with the ice cube. That would be one of the hazards of drinking a beverage like that. I guess each to their own. I don't think I will be ordering it actually.

3. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Active Member

I love to drink whisky with ice cubes from time to time, especially at nights in the summer when it's warm outside. I think that a big ice cube looks unflattering though, I would much rather see a few smaller ones than a big one.

#3 FuZyOn, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

It's so odd to me for someone to refer to this as a new fad. It's been going on for a long, long time in my area. I can't remember the last time someone offered me a whisky without it having a huge ice cube involved. It works as a great alternative to several ice cubes. The drink stays cold and the ice cube doesn't melt nearly as fast. I went as far as to buying my own sphere trays so I could make my own sphere cubes at home. It works out awesome. :)

5. mauricioq

mauricioq Member

I've never tried it out, but by the looks, it actually looks way more effective than the little cubes I've been using. It's not really that important, bur for someone like me who likes details, it matters.

6. Daddy-O

Daddy-O Active Member

I can't say I have ever had my hooch served with one gigantic ice cube. It looks like it would make a mess if it smacked you in the schnoz though. Meh, fads come and go, and I'd wager this one will too.

kgord likes this.
  7. kgord

kgord Active Member

I would be willing to try it, but I guess I don't order whiskey enough to have had it. My ice maker makes some pretty big cubes, but I don't think I have any that are quite that big. I could try it sometime I suppose.

8. explorerx7

explorerx7 Member

Think I would stick to the usual smaller sized ice cubes. In my opinion, there seems to be a degree of difficulty with that jumbo ice cube; it may very well provide some hindrance to me sipping my drink by often getting in the way compared to the smaller cubes which are easier to regulate.

9. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Really, I honestly thought it was something recent. I have only seen it online and my local bars haven't started serving whiskey this way. Hopefully they will catch on soon.

10. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Active Member

That's super surprising to me. All of the bars in my area are using these ice cubes because it's "nicer looking" and as easy as placing into the glass. That goes to show you how different each area is. This has been going on in my area for several years now.

I hope it catches on in other areas. It's actually pretty convenient and you can avoid a lot of water build up in your drink. :)

SirJoe likes this.
  11. crimsonghost747

Umm.. no thanks. Though I can see why people would do it. But personally I just throw in 1-2 small ice cubes and even that is quite a rare situation, I prefer most whiskys without ice.

12. Sue

Sue Active Member

It seems to be the trend lately to use the one giant ice cubes but I prefer 3-4 of the smaller ones. I see why they the one because it doesn't melt as quickly and water down your drink. The smaller ones melt quickly.

13. Norm A

Norm A Member

I haven't tried the big ice cube yet, but from those pics it really looks visually pleasing. I think I will try it. I've always had my whiskey with ice or other stuff depending on my mood, and this way seems like it would be great to keep it chilled for longer.

14. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

Yes the smaller ice cubes seem to melt way too quickly and water down the whiskey. This ice doesn't melt so quickly and it still will chill the whiskey.