So, Does Age Matter?

Discussion in 'Whisky Forum' started by FuZyOn, May 27, 2016.

1. Stephens

Stephens Member

No.It is doesn't matter

2. SirJoe

SirJoe Active Member

That is the best way to learn how to appreciate whiskey. If you already have one that you like you already have a bases to work on.

3. larryl332

larryl332 New Member

Yeah that is true, most of time I could not care less whether or not it is the top notch stuff. That said, though, if I am being told it is something rare or special, I definitely want it to be the case and I would to think that I could tell the difference, but you could probably fool me if you really tried.

4. AlexZ

AlexZ Member

It is prоbаbly nоt truе thаt multi-yеаr аging аlwаys yiеlds "bеttеr" tаstе.
    But соnsidеr thаt 'zеrо-yеаr аgеd' whiskеy tаstеs likе 'whitе lightning' mооnshinе -- thаt is tо sаy, likе swееt (sоmе wоuld sаy siсkly-swееt) liquid-y соrnbrеаd, with аn аlсоhоliс bitе аnd аftеrtаstе -- аnd 'fеw-mоnths аgеd' whiskеy tаstеs likе 'whitе lightning' mооnshinе with аstringеnt сhаrасtеristiсs (аnd thе bеginnings оf sоmе gооd stuff, but mоstly аstringеnt) pullеd оut оf thе wооdеn bаrrеl. Distillеry-lосаl kids run thеir оwn bасkwооds vеrsiоn оf this еxpеrimеnt, vis-а-vis pоuring wаtеr intо usеd whiskеy-bаrrеls, slоshing thе wаtеr аrоund fоr а whilе, thеn pоuring it оut intо соntаinеrs аnd drinking it fоr а (vеry) сhеаp buzz.

5. tony

tony Active Member

I think the longer the Whisky stays to get more matured the better it would taste. Probably with the passing of time the constituents undergo more biochemical reactions giving a better taste.

6. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

DR KOKIL AGARWAL Active Member

I would say most of us would prefer aged liquor to a new one. Liquors kept over the years becomes an important asset for everyone.
    Moreover they are overpriced which cearly shows their demand and value.

7. FolkArtist

FolkArtist Member

The two things that matter with whisky is the wooden barrel its stored in,and the enviroment its stored in. The barrels are usually toasted or charred when they are built and this creates a layer of charcoal,that filters out the rawness of the spirit. Over time the wood adds flavor to the whisky,and the more you let whisky age,the more it tastes like honey. Also scotch is aged in more humid enviroments and bourbon in drier,so the more the age the more complex the taste is and it has a higher price.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL likes this.
  8. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

I compl
    I completely agree with your explanation. The more the whisky imbibes the flavor of its container the more are the changes in its taste and flavor.

Aged liquor adds to taste for sure and that is the main reason it is loved by almost everyone.

9. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit Active Member

If we are to consider the various flavors existing, I believe the age is indeed an extremely important factor and it certainly causes a great increase in the price of the whisky, by the way (it's amazing how much values can get so high). So yes... Age matters. :)

10. DR KOKIL AGARWAL

I think most of the drinkers prefer an old and aged whisky to a new. There is a marked difference in the taste and smoothness.

Aging does not happen only in barrels. Alcohol stored for years in their normal bottle is equally good. Though there is a difference in taste in both the storage methods. Wooden barrels do provide a peculiar different taste.

11. rz3300

rz3300 Member

I would not really trust my answer here as I am not the most sophisticated of drinker, but there has to be a reason why you hear so much about this. I imagine there is a good difference between the aged ones and the newer ones.

12. xyrene

xyrene Member

13. Zero

Zero Member

It's quite debatable since a lot people claim that the taste improves with age, but others refute this concept, as for me i can't tell.

14. jad

jad New Member

I don't think that age matters a lot but then again, I could be wrong. I have found that some veyr young whiskies can surprise you by having a very refined taste for their age, and some older whiskies are not as good as you would expect from their age.

15. kgord

kgord Active Member

Well according to whisky experts age does matter however, it is probably a matter of preference and taste. Personally, as long as it is not nasty, I don't really care. I am not someone just drinking it for the taste.

16. DavidLee

DavidLee New Member

Doesn't really seem to..
    But old whiskies can turn under 30's/inexperienced guys abit tipsy quick!
    But I also have a cousin who's 14, and he pops and drinks all-night when he's on holiday from boarding school. If you ask me, bartenders seem not to care the age-factor lately..it's the Era you give out the bucks, and the bottle is all yours.. No questions, period! And they be kind of, ''Enjoy!'' o_O

#36 DavidLee, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
  17. clair02

clair02 Member

I don't think that age matters that much. When it comes to tastes and what we like, a lot of us have different opinions on what makes a great whisky and some aged whiskies might taste worse than younger ones depending on who's doing the tasting.

18. Tiile23

Tiile23 New Member

I think with my experience in whisky, I quite agree with ageing of whisky being a factor for it's smoothness. It may not age in a barrel but in a bottle. Yhh!! I very much agree with that. :D

19. tony

tony Active Member

I don't put age into consideration when going for Whisky. I know many say the more the age the more matured the taste, somehow that doesn't bother me.

20. dionnextherese

I personally believe that age does matter when it comes to whiskeys. Older whiskey means better. For decades the whiskey industry had marketed age statements as a sign of quality, so it’s no wonder that new whiskey drinkers continue to judge a bottle's contents on the number printed on the label.